We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Monolithos - car or bus?

Lancs
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in Monolithos - car or bus?

We are staying in Monolithos during the last 2 weeks in Sept. We would like to see as much of the island as we can. Can anyone advise about the best way to do this from here? Would appreciate any advice abour car hire, driving tips etc. Thanks.

Constantza
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Monolithos - car or bus?

hello Lily! I'm Oana from Romania. I've been to Santorini twice, first in 2004 and then last summer. I'm going again this september. I think it is the most beautiful place on earth. Monolithos is nice, near the airport, the beach here is usual, not something extraordinary, black sand, very large and clean. If u want something different u must go to Kokkinou Paralia (Red Beach) which is great, red sand, lava, wonderful scenary. The water is wonderful, very clean and warm. If u like to swim and dive this is the best place. U must also go to Kamari beach, Marble Beach, wonderful too. Here u must also come at night, you'll find the best places to eat, tavernas by the sea with music, sometimes live greek music ... wonderful. There is also another beach, called Oia, up in the North, not an ordinary beach, only cliffs, but wonderful for swiming, diving and jumping. I know u first asked about transportation, but I could't help myself. My husband and I are in love with Santorini. So ... when we went there we rented a bike, motor bike, it costed 10 euros for one day, it's very cheap, comfortable, we travelled around the island with it for 3 weeks and it was wonderful. U can also hire a car, the price depends on the type of car, but u can find a good one for 30 euros for one day. U can also travel by bus but u must know that they are very crowded especially at rush hour and they are expensive. I paid more than 2 euros for one ticket when we left to the port. I would keep on talking about Santorini for hours , but i have to stop ... if u want to ask me anything else feel free to do it. All the best .

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Monolithos - car or bus?

The bus service to Monolithos in late September is not going to be very convenient. I'm fairly sure that by then there will only be a few buses each day into Fira. If you wait until you're on the island to explore the possibility of hiring a car or motorbike or quad you will be able to find a good price by looking around. Be sure to take the extra insurance coverage that includes your car and any car with which you might be involved in an accident. If the road to Oia is too narrow and curvy for you there is a secondary road along the opposite shoreline that is flat and almost straight.

Lancs
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Monolithos - car or bus?

Thank you for that.

Chances are we will look to hire a car, just a little nervous about driving as I have never driven on the continent before. Can you recommend any good web sites or books that could give me a few tips before I go rather than 'picking it up as I go along!'

Also, could you tell us anything about Monolithos where we are booked to stay? The apartments seem ok, but worrying now if we may be a bit 'out on a limb'.

Best wishes.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Monolithos - car or bus?

I don't know much about Monolithos except that it's a quiet area and it's under the flight path of the airport.

As far as driving is concerned, if you're used to driving on the right-hand side of the road it shouldn't be any problem. The roads are in pretty good condition although sometimes narrow. The road between Imerovigli and Oia has lots of blind curves (beware of oncoming cars, trucks and buses), that's why I recommended the secondary road. You just have to be alert for the local drivers who are so used to the traffic situation there that they pass in what others might consider unsafe areas. Don't be intimidated by anyone tailgating and honking, just take your time and if you feel pressured pull over if you can or just slow down and gesture for them to pass.

If you want a fairly good pdf map of the roadways let me have your email address here or in a private message.

Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Monolithos - car or bus?

Hi LilyLancs,

We've been to Santorini 3 times as it is truly stunning. However I wouldn't recommend staying in Monolithos if you want to appreciate the beauty of Santorini from your accomodation. If you stay in Fira, Imerovigli, or our favorite, Oia, you will feel as though you are in complete paradise with the views off the top of the cliff out to sea. We did spend time at Monolithos beach in 2004 and it was very enjoyable, but it is nice to go back to your hotel and take in the drama from one of the elevated towns. In 2006, Monolithos was not the same - it was covered with seaweed and we left right away, though this could have been due to the bad meltimi winds that they had in July of 2006. Hope you have a blast!

6. Re: Staying in Monolithos - car or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 08:17