We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caldera is the cream - thanks experts!

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
371 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Caldera is the cream - thanks experts!

Can I say thank you to all the experts - Brotherleelove, joeintheuk, phillyrx and Chase38 in particular - for the great advice they gave me to help make our trip to Santorini so special.

Firstly, you helped me choose Oia and the Nostos apartments. I had wanted a sunset view, but you told me the Caldera view was better - and how right you were. We only attempted to see a sunset on one evening, and as it was hazy, it was a real damp squib. Also, I would've hated to stay at accommodation on the northern tip and been surrounded by literally hundreds of tourists (nuisances!) every evening. Good call!

As for Nostos - what an incredible view! We travelled all over the island (not that it takes long!) and felt that our view was the best. Fira and Imerovigli do have Caldera views, of course, but not such exceptional ones as ours!

Thanks for suggesting somewhere we could watch the Rugby World Cup. We went to Kamari initially and although it had more bars than you could shake a stick at (surprising what a long, long beach and beachfront scene there is), they were only showing the football. So we had a nice morning on the beach - not the greatest, but it sufficed - ate lunch on the seafront and headed back to Fira.

And so to Murphy's Bar. What a rip-off! It cost five Euros per local small bottled beer and eight Euros for a premier brand. Needless to say, we soberly celebrated a Wales defeat (though so narrow!). However, we were thrilled to find somewhere to watch it. Can't say the same about the SWARMS of Australians deafening us throughout the first half. (Strangely enough, so much quieter during the second...) Only joking, we met loads of Aussies on the trip (do these people ever stay at home?!) and they were charm personified. Honest!

Finally, thanks for warning us about the catamaran cancellations. I had originally booked the FlyingCat (or whatever it's called), but swapped our tickets (50% cancellation charge) for SkyExpress. And good job I did, as the catamaran on our return to Heraklion was cancelled and many people staying at the same hotel as us had to cancel. We would have missed the flight back to the UK had we not swapped. Thanks!

A couple of negatives - just a couple! There are just three cash machines (that we could find) in Oia, and none of these would allow us to withdraw money for some reason. We were fine in Fira, though. And I was very disappointed with my meal at Skala. I thought it was just because it was vegetarian, but my carnivore husband confirmed that his was also lukewarm and not particularly good.

But let's end on a positive. Fab weather, amazing views - and the most relaxing serene time just sitting outside, staring at the sea and volcano, listening to nothing except the odd chime of the church bells and gentle lapping of swimming pool water. A true delight.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,662 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caldera is the cream - thanks experts!

Thanks for the excellent trip report. I'm glad you had such a great time and the information you compiled here on TA was so helpful. Too bad about Skala, I'm vegetarian too and had an excellent meal there. Luck of the draw, I guess........

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caldera is the cream - thanks experts!

Glad it all went well, we didnt try Skala but i suppose every restaurant can have an off day, pity about the rugby but at least you saw it :-)

3. Re: Caldera is the cream - thanks experts!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 04:17