We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donkeys -cruelty

Manchester, uk
Level Contributor
421 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Donkeys -cruelty

Hi

I have read on several occasions on TA about peoples concern for the donkeys in Santorini.

The daily express has a started a campaign to stop the cruelty. They are working with Dr Margarita Valvis-Roussos, a vet on Santorini[she runs the Santorini animal welfare association]to try and stop the cruelty.

Some of the things the owners do are horrific, apart from the obvious of making them carry tourists up all the stairs, they are beaten and apparently rumour has it that when the donkeys are too old or lame they push them off a cliff into the sea although this has allegedly stopped a few years ago.

You can register your protest of the treatment of Santorinis donkeys by calling Mayor Angelos Roussos on 00 33 22860 22231 or by writing to the consulate general at the Greek Embassy at 1A Holland Park, London, W11 3TP.

You can also donate to the Santorini Animal Welfare Association by emailing megvet@otenet.gr

I love Santorini but I would never ride the donkeys and having presumed there was little I could do it will be nice if we can help stop it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donkeys -cruelty

Great post, those poor aminals must go thru hell especially during those hot summer days. I hope this thread keeps going and that it can lead to the end of the donkeys suffering!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donkeys -cruelty

Agree...thanks for all the great info/links:) Hopefully enough will read this and respond / take action! Enjoy!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donkeys -cruelty

Hi there

It's the same on Rhodes at Lindos where donkeys are used to carry people up to the Acropolis. Of course, with the weather being so hot in the summer, it's invariably "larger" people who feel they can't make the ascent, thus, the poor old donkeys end up carrying far many more "well proportioned" people than they do Mr or Mrs "Average" size.

4. Re: Donkeys -cruelty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Santorini