We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To the Americans - Weak Dollar

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
To the Americans - Weak Dollar

Last night I checked xe.com and the Euro was at 1.47!! Is the weak dollar making anyone else rethink next year's vacation plans? I think my daughter and I will hold off for another year and hope that the dollar gets stronger by then.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

It's not the devaluation of the dollar against the euro that poses a problem for American travellers to Santorini. Even if the dollar does get stronger by next year the hotels are raising their prices 10-20% every couple of years, which has a much stronger effect on the affordability of travel than the fluxuation of the euro by 5 or 10 cents.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

Don't remind me :-( ... Horrible...but 'rumors' have it, it will get worse before (if it ever will!) get better! Enjoy?!

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

Well it's 20% higher than the last time I went, and I spent 20K on last year's European trip, so that adds a lot to the bottom line. I know - the hotel increases don't help either! :) Maybe I'll visit the Grand Canyon instead. LOL!!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

I also remind you that a hard euro and a "weak" $ is bad for us too. Not only to mention raise of prices for American visitors but weakening of Europe's exports to US too.

Hey! There is also a good thing on it: A shopping expedition in New York's stores is more value for us now. Litsa i will need some help on it this time - lol. I cannot handle ALL these fabulous NYC stores alone. . .i have only two legs. ughhh :))

- ok it is Greece forum here - :)))

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

YES Nick:) Now is a great time for shopping for everyone except us..lol! You said the magic word - shopping:):) I can become an centipede!!!!! ENJOY!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,174 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

CameraGirl8: You and other American travellers are now experiencing what it was like for Canadian travellers for years (dealing with a weak dollar versus a strong Euro). From 1976 until this year, the Canadian dollar was worth less than the US greenback -- and therefore worth substantially less than the Euro. (Our dollar finally achieved parity with the US buck in late September. Today, it closed at $1.06 vs. the US dollar.)

For our Greek holiday in September of this year, as well as May 2006, a Euro cost us approx. 1.47 -- the very same exchange rate that is making you reconsider your travel plans for next year. Our dollar fared even worse during our visits to Greece in 2004 and 2005; in '04, for example, a 51 Euro meal on Mykonos cost us $86.67 CDN. Happily, two months ago, a 52 Euro meal on Mykonos was much cheaper -- $75.63 CDN. And as of today, a Euro costs us $1.38, which means that same Mykonos dinner would now be just under $72.

If you really want to visit Greece and want to lessen the impact of the unfavourable exchange rate on your travel budget, why not consider some islands that are far less touristy than Santorini, where hotels and meals are much less expensive? Naxos, Milos, Sifnos and Folegandros are among the places we've found easier on our pocketbooks.

In any event, if Canadians could survive a 1.47 Euro and still have a great time in Greece, surely our hardy American neighbours could, too! ;)

(Nick: Maybe I'll bump into you shopping in New York; now that it's not as expensive for us to travel there, I'm trying to see if I can finally get to NYC for the first time. See you and Litsa on 5th Avenue or at Macy's?)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

You don't necessarily need to change your destination to another island if you're willing to compromise on where you stay. There are lots of very nice and still inexpensive hotels to choose from. In Oia check the Anemomilos Hotel, Musses Studios/Casa Francesca, Stelios Rooms Thea Studios for starters. In Firostefani check out the Blue Dolphins Apartments.

If you are willing to stay somewhere away from the cliffside villages, check Villa Manos in Karterados.

These are all still very affordable and there are plenty more of them.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

We are definitely re-thinking our vacation plans for next summer. We went to Ireland, England, and Germany this past summer and the exchange rate was 1.34 for the euro and 2.02 for the pound. That was painful enough. It's not just the exchange rate, but also air fares are rising significantly now that oil is almost $100/barrel.

We're thinking of New England instead--still a nice trip from California!

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

vb307, New England sounds like a fabulous trip. I've never been there and always wanted to go.

DonnyB, thanks for the comparison and explanation about Canadian currency. I found that very interesting. I remember you and I were planning our 2006 Greece trips at the same time and I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

BLL, great suggestions as usual. If we do still go, we'll definitely have to find a less expensive hotel, so I appreciate the list.

Nick, come on over!! Litsa sounds like a great New York hostess! I would offer to show you around Houston, but it's not exactly a popular tourist destination! :)

I'm on the email list for opodo and it has been interesting to read their emails. They're really pushing the American shopping trips for Europeans. :) Our poor dollar. I hope it rebounds someday soon! LOL!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To the Americans - Weak Dollar

Santorini is still a good deal if you put perspective.

19101967 summed it up well in their review. They paid only 42 euros, at The Boat House, and got an ocean view room with a balcony along with a great buffet breakfast, nice pool and great service too boot. True it’s during the off season but I can tell you that you will not come near that kind of deal here in New Jersey.

I have heard that France, Germany and other countries that depend on industrial exports are going to really get hurt from the strong Euro though.