We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
473 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

I will be travelling from Athens to Santorini in February 2008. I know that this is an odd time to visit Santorini and that many places will be closed, but we will only be there a few days to meet with our wedding planner, then we'll return to Athens.

I have visited Santorini in the past and think arriving by ferry is ideal, however I would like to take the high speed ferry and I can't find a ferry that is running in February. Is there not enough demand at that time?

Any advice?

Thanks!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

Why not fly? Less than an hour compared to six or so on potentially rough and unpleasant seas.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

I know flying is most practical but the view of Santorini from the sea is amazing. Since my fiance has never visited, I thought it would be quite impressive for him to see Santorini this way, for the first time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

Try www.greekferries.gr / I don't know your exact date but in plugging in some Feb dates, you'll see some scheduled departures.. am sure you won't have a problem as there is regular service to this popular isle year-round..even the locals need to get around:):) Enjoy!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

Thanks, Litsa, however I don't think that is the site for the high speed ferry, or perhaps the high speed is not available. We really don't want to waste a full day on the ferry, thus the need for the high speed! : )

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

As far as I know the highspeed catamaran from Hellenic Seaways does NOT operate in the off-season. Your best option is the slower Blue Star car ferry, which operates daily, departing at 7:30 AM. This ferry is also much better than the highspeed ferry for getting a good look at the islands as you approach them, especially Santorini.

Lane Lines also runs this route in February but not every day. Go to http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/index_en.vm to see what's available on your travel dates.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

The site lists all available transport..at least that's what I've noticed in using it! You can also try www.gtp.gr as well as www.openseas.gr / Keep Enjoyin'!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

I havent taken the high speed ferry but my understanding was that its like a plane, in that you can't go outside, so you wont get that great a view as you approach, if there is any view at all if the windows are covered in spray. And if its raining the view will be greatly diminished.

Plus if he is at all susceptible to seasickness he may also not be too worried about the view after 6 hours in rough seas, he'll just be hoping for death :-)

Why not ferry in when you go on the second time when the weather should be better?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

Actually, the Highspeed Ferry is different from the Flying Cat. It's a car/passenger ferry. Both are highspeed cats, but it's my understanding that the Highspeed is much larger and there is actually some outside deck space (although limited), not like the Flying Cats, which don't have any. Still, the regular car ferries are much larger and there is plenty of deck space for strolling around the ship.

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

There is indeed a small amount of outside space on the Highspeed vessels. However, passengers are only permitted to access this area while the ship is in port - during the journey the doors remain locked. For the views, take the Blue Star!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Athens to Santorini in February

In February there won't be a high-speed ferry, Piraeus > Santorini, your only choice will be a 07:30 departure or occasionally one around 15:00-18:00 ish. That's 8 hours min.