We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone question

Albany NY
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone question

We are staying at Oia Castle at the end of May. I know Dimitris has a mobile phone for guests to use.My question is whether that phone can be used for personal calls(international)if we have a calling card.I've never made international calls so I'm not sure how it all works.Should I direct this question to him or does anyone who has stayed there have any information? After Greece,we are going to Rome for a week and I'm just trying to decide if I should buy an international mobile phone or rent one.I would need either 2 different SIM cards or else buy an internaional one, I guess.Like I said,this is all new to me so any info is appreciated.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone question

You need to ask him so you can be sure, but I think his phones are only good for local calls. You'll love Oia Castle!

Albany NY
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone question

Thanks BLL. I am sure we will love Oia!I have wanted to go there ever since I saw a movie called "Summer Lovers" many years ago. I just recently viewed it again (had to buy it actually since it is no longer in rental)and what terrible acting but the Santorini scenery is just beautiful! I just sent Dimitris an e-mail.We finally have all our flights booked so now we get down to the details. Be prepared for lots of questions from now on in!

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone question

A few months ago I had a message exchange with someone asking about Summer Lovers. Was that you? If not, you might like to know that where the Oia Castle is located now is actually where the French girl "Lena" was staying, where she and Darryl Hannah's character sat outside and had tea.

Albany NY
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone question

No, it was not me.I had seen recommendations for Aspaki and Oia Castle on this site and when I went to the Oia Castle site,it said that was where Summer Lovers was filmed.Right then, my husband and I decided we had to stay there! I remember that scene you talked about.I just fell in love with all the cave houses and it seemed meant to be that we should stay there.I booked it early last summer to make sure we didn't miss out on getting a reservation!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone question

The owners of the Boat House, Sprios & Diane, in Kamari told me that the cave is is still there pretty much the way it was from the fliming. I'm pretty sure I saw it when I was there last year, left the camera in my room so no photo to compare it to. Anyway Ioa has been built up a lot since then. Funny to hear about Summer Lovers, I some nice looking girl has an add on Craigs list looking for a couple to fill her Summer Lovers phantasy.

BTW we had a great laught, me and a few friends, when the bar tender from Orion Bay Hotel, Elias, would ask what brought us all to Santorini. Too which we told him it was the movie. Well he never saw it and he asked about it. Well we told him a little about the movie but then he would guess wrongly on how the movie got us to santorini. Well after three yrs we finnally told him. Sure Santorini looked like a great place but as Lena stated in the movie, "It Was To Get Away From Everything".

Mentioned in this post
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone question

The owners of the Boat House, Sprios & Diane, in Kamari told me that the cave is is still there pretty much the way it was from the fliming. I'm pretty sure I saw it when I was there last year, left the camera in my room so no photo to compare it to. Anyway Ioa has been built up a lot since then. Funny to hear about Summer Lovers, I some nice looking girl has an add on Craigs list looking for a couple to fill her Summer Lovers phantasy.

BTW we had a great laught, me and a few friends, when the bar tender from Orion Bay Hotel, Elias, would ask what brought us all to Santorini. Too which we told him it was the movie. Well he never saw it and he asked about it. Well we told him a little about the movie but then he would guess wrongly on how the movie got us to santorini. Well after three yrs we finnally told him. Sure Santorini looked like a great place but as Lena stated in the movie, "It Was To Get Away From Everything".

Mentioned in this post
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone question

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by " the cave is is still there pretty much the way it was from the fliming," but if you mean Lena's room I can assure you that Dimitris at Oia Castle has revamped that property so as to make it unrecognizeable....but in a good way. The narrow little stairway to "Lena's" veranda is still there, but behind the doorway at the bottom is something completely different. The rooms are still caves, so in that regard nothing has changed.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phone question

I would take a calling card as they have toll free number in Greece so all you pay for is your call time.

If you have the money to spend then you take the international sim and use it for incoiming.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
9. Re: Mobile phone question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 06:18