We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June or September?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
June or September?

I am researching our first trip to Greece very excited! was wondering what ppl felt about the first week of june compared to mid-september? which is better over all? pros and cons? would like it to be warm enough to swim and sunbathe. the tickets are cheaper for september by $200. are things still going to be open in sept? how is the cosmopolitan suites? i'll probably be booking thru costco travel and that was one of the hotels listed. how does it compare to say ikies or katikies?

thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,292 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June or September?

Everything will still be happening in September, have no fear, although you will have missed the peak-season craziness. The weather will be great. I prefer June but that's completely subjective.

I don't know the Cosmopolitan Suites so can't make a comparison but their website looks very good. Ikies and Katikies are excellent hotels. Of those two I'd choose Ikies every time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June or September?

I totally understand why BrotherLeeLove prefers June.. I go in May! ...But Sept is by far about the best time for the isles, especially for swimming as the Seas has been sun-kissed all Summer long:) .. Although the waters will be cooler (if not cold), you can swim in June..people are in the water (including me!) in early May..When you come the distance, you can't resist a 'dunk'..lol!! Do look into Ikies..incredible property and #1 choice here..read reviews..You can check it out and book directly at www.ikies.gr / Have fun planning and Enjoy!

Lux
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: June or September?

The days are shorter in September (and the nights longer)

H2

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June or September?

..but the sea will be much warmer and as that seems to be one of your top criteria thats what I would go for.

Pa
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June or September?

I went last June and I loved it. We went swimming too, no problem. I feel like I could never go back to Greece other than in June...it was that nice. Everything is open and lively but not crowded.

On the other hand, my sister in law loves September and has gone the past 2 years. But she and my B-in-L don't swim and she did say it was a bit too cool for the beach anyway.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,292 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June or September?

Good point about the shorter days in September, I never actually thought about that, but for me I'd want as much daylight as possible. On June 1 the sun will set in Greece at 8:42 and on June 30 it will set at 8:52. On September 1 the sun will set at 7:54 and on September 30 it will set at 7:09. So if you go in June you get roughly around 1.5 hours of more daylight.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June or September?

now im not sure...im getting more pros for june then september. the more daylight is a huge plus! then someone said they thought it was too cold in september to swim. hmmm. if we go in june it would be early june.

thanks for all the suggestions

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June or September?

We went in early June last summer. I will say, the water is brisk, but we swam everyday. The days were long and the weather was wonderful in June. We rented a car for a day to see the rest of the island and we also rented 4 x 4s for fun and sight seeing. We stayed in Oia...no regrets there. You will have a blast.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,292 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June or September?

If the wind is blowing the water might be chilly, but otherwise it'll be great in June.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June or September?

"then someone said they thought it was too cold in september to swim"

Anyone who thinks that definitely wouldn't be swimming in June then, as the average water temp is a degree or two colder in June compared to Sep. Maybe they were unlucky with weather (which could happen in June also), mid Sep should be just perfect swimming weather.

I was there end of first week of June last year, water was a bit 'brisk', I have swum in Crete in mid-October and the water was warmer than in June in Santorini. Not quite a fair comparison as Crete is a bit more South and has shallower margins but even so...