We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliff Walk

New Jersey
Level Contributor
785 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cliff Walk

I plan to take the walk from Fira to Oia which should take about 3-4 hours.

Can one do a partial walk? Is it possible at some point to catch the bus for the rest of the way? If so where might that be?

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliff Walk

In theory you can get a bus at mid point, however they get packed solid and could be a crush. It does not take as long as 4 hours to walk, it is only 4½ miles(7 km).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliff Walk

Retired Hippy is correct about the time the walk takes; we have done it twice in under 2.5 hours, including plenty of stops to take photos and get a snack and drink from a roadside kiosk roughly near the halfway mark. If you were to exit the path partway through the walk (i.e. in the Imerovigli area, where the main road runs fairly close to the path), you would miss out on a lot of spectacular scenery, including great views of Oia as the path descends the final hill along the route. You wouldn't get to see any of those views from the bus.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliff Walk

To clarify, it's about 7 miles or 13km between Oia and Fira along the road. There are a couple of obvious places along the trail between Imerovigli and Oia where you can easily get back to the road to catch the bus, and the bus won't be in SRO mode until late June, and even then that won't be the case on every bus. Morning buses are less-crowded than the early afternoon buses, but those around the sunset will be full to the brim.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliff Walk

Thanks to all

I might take the bus to half-way then stroll all the way downhill to Oia (hopefully)

I will be there the first week of May so not concerned about SRO on the bus.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliff Walk

It's not all downhill to Oia from the halfway point along the highway (my definition of "halfway" is the place where the clifftop path emerges onto the main road and then resumes, several hundred feet down the road, at the snack bar). From there, more than half the distance to Oia will be an uphill walk, with some fabulous views of Imerovigli, Skaros Rock and the volcano island, followed by a downhill stretch leading into the village.

6. Re: Cliff Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 09:23