We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help - santorini for 1 week too much?

new york
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
need help - santorini for 1 week too much?

I read a lot of the posts on this forum already but am still confused for what to do. My family and I (me, my husband and my parents) are planning a trip to greece this July. We do not want to spend more than 1 night in Athens as we heard it is not very beautiful and less of what interests us than the beauty of the islands and scenery.

That said, we plan to fly to santorini. Probelm lies in that 2 of us are prone to seasickness... so can we spend an entire week on santorini alone? is there enough to do and see there? i looked into flying to mykonos but this is apparently not so simple and it seems that the planes are so small and turbulent that it may be a problem too.

Also, are there any day trips we can do in santorini by boat that are short/calm for those of us afraid of seasickness?

convenience is more important of a consideration to us than budget. any and all help and advice is very much appreciated!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help - santorini for 1 week too much?

"can we spend an entire week on santorini alone?"

That all depends on how you are used to spending your time on vacation. For me a week isn't enough time to unwind and get into the island mode. Santorini is a laid-back sort of island. There's plenty of youth-oriented nightlife, but Santorini's really about just enjoying the views, swimming, relaxing and taking an occasional stroll through a village or a hike along one of the island's trails. That's not to say there aren't watersports available at the black sand beaches, and there are two archaeological sites as well as a small-but-good museum in Fira. It's a small island, so if your group is constantly on the go you will cover everything easily in about 4 days.

Daytrips are possible but limited to the nearby islands of Ios, Naxos and Paros because of the ferry schedules. In July there will be lots of them coming and going so connections shouldn't be a problem. The Blue Star Ferry Company operates huge and very stable new car/passenger ferries with built-in stabilizers, so motion sickness shouldn't be any sort of problem on the route between these islands. The smaller catamaran passenger-only ferries should be avoided to prevent problems.

There's also an excursion available into the caldera and out to the 'new' volcano, as well as to Therassia on the other side of the caldera from Santorini.

I think you'll find that Athens is worth more than just one day of your time in Greece. Although it's a very large metropolitan city there's still a lot of beauty and interest there relating to Ancient Greece. I suggest at least 2 days, and do it at the end so you don't have to rush to make your plane home.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help - santorini for 1 week too much?

Totally agree..as a matter of fact, why don't you try to connect directly to Santorini on your arrival from the States..Check www.aegeanairlines.gr .. these planes are NOT puddle jumpers so no need to worry there:) Spending your last couple of nights in Athens would make for a wonderful finale..this IS an incredible City with amazing sites, musuems, etc. which am sure you will enjoy!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help - santorini for 1 week too much?

Re sea/travel sickness, have you tried 'Bonine' ?

Works like a treat on everyone I know. Annoyingly you cant buy them here in the UK, so I was the guy in JFK last October buying half a dozen packets for an upcoming trip this year :-)

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
823 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help - santorini for 1 week too much?

hi

if going to santorini

then hop a boat to ios island next to santorini only 30 mins away by the highspeed fast ferry

my mother gets seasick but never with this short trip as the highspeeds are huge

oioi

5. Re: need help - santorini for 1 week too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 16:16