We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Santorini

Level Contributor
105 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Santorini

We have one day to see Santorini in September. Four of us will be travelling together on a cruise and are deciding whether to rent a car for the day.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Santorini

Definitely rent a car. Cabs are not plentiful and you will probably spend more $ on taxis because many sites are a great distance from one another then you would to rent a car for the day.

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Santorini

Ideal solution.... We can see everything and apreciate the reasons to return better than any bus passenger....

Also a car will cost you something like 30 euro and the island is not so hard to drive since there are not high mountains or glissy streets ....

Mostly gear moving ones, you can learn how to drive it easier than motos if noone is used to already....

Level Contributor
105 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Santorini

Tks for the responses. All drivers can use standard gear and we would love to see as much of the island as we can. I understand there is a wonderful vineyard to see as well.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Santorini

Breezy

Rent a car for the day circa 40 Euros. Go to Akrotiri and see the dig. If possible stop and see the sunset Oia is best but only marginally any west facing view point is good. Santo Wines is good for a visit marvelos views as well as wine.

The cruise ships seem to stop at Fira where there is a long haul up to the town the options are walk, Donkey or chair lift. Recommend Chair lift as time is limited. Look arounf Fira then go to the main street to hire a car. Travel down to Akrotiri stooping at Santo Wines on the way. Maybe have a look around Perissa and Kamari. If time allows finish with dinner in Oia watch the sunset then back to the ship.

Enjoy

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Santorini

I used Spiridakos rent a car in Fira, and they were very good. Great service.

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Santorini

i read in a post near by that someone rent a four days ATOS in June for 20 euros per day...check it ....

It seems to be the best deal...ask him where it was the agency....

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Santorini

The 20 Euro per day car hire (4 Days) was Damasinos Rent A Car & Moto, Kamari Tel & Fax 22860 27027. Mobile 6946 657409

They brought the car to our Hotel in Perissa (Philoxenia) the night before we wanted it and collected it when we had finished with it. It it had 65K on the clock and was not in immaculate condition but the AC worked and it was safe and comfortable. The best thing about it is it did not look too much like a hire car. So we felt more indigenous.

Bear in mind prices in June are probably quite low compared to July/August

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Santorini

Breezey

you will be so happy that you rented a car. driving on santorini was easier than i expected. in fact, i enjoyed it so much, i drove more than my husband. we used Spirodakos rent a car. they are situated on the main street in fira. there is a guy that works there from Canada named Nikos who speaks greek. he helped us tremendously!! He also can be used as a guide for the day if you want. i am not sure what he charges. we went to the winery on the road to kamari and had a great time. we also recommend going to Kamari beach for a short visit and hanging out in Fira and Oia. both have wonderful shopping and areas to walk in.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Santorini

Unfortunately, a cruise is a very restricted way to see the Greek Isles... its only a glimpse, but definately rent a car. It will be the quickest way to catch the highlights. Get a good map of the island from the car rental agency or a local shop. Photo ops are so numerous on Santorini, a rental car will give you the oppotunity to make frequent stops for calendar pictures of the churches and sea views. Make sure you stop in a local taverna for lunch. It beats eating with the same boring crowd on the cruise ship.

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Santorini

I Definately recomment to all of those who need to visit with a cruise, a Frommer's guide book as well.. A good guide book and an intensive reading the night before every new port , will make you feel like a repeat tourist in a familiar area....