We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

I am staying in Firostefani at the end of may.. Where does the sunrise? Will it be on the caldera side fo the island? Or the other side?

Are they as good as the sunsets?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

Now, if you had moved to Kamari instead of Firostefani as I suggested a few months ago.....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

Nah, I dont think I will be getting up with the sun more then once, I just wanted to see it once maybe. IF I could view it from my hotel room.

Are they nice?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

I have no idea, there is no chance I will ever be up that early :-)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

Firostefani is on the west side of the island, so if you're staying in a caldera-view hotel room in Firostefani, you won't get to see the sunrise from your room. (The hotels that cascade down the cliffside in Firostefani are in shade until mid- to late- morning.) However, if you're staying in a Firostefani-area hotel that is set back from the top of the cliffs, and if you have an east-facing hotel room there (as we did at the Santorini Palace on our first visit to Santorini), then you might get to watch a sunrise without leaving your room or hotel.

The only time we saw part of a Santorini sunrise was on May 29/06 while we were waiting for a shuttle bus to take us from Firostefani to the airport for a very early morning flight to Athens. Just before the sun rose above the horizon, the eastern sky filled with bold blue and orange streaks. It looked interesting and I wish I'd been able to snap some pics, but that just wasn't possible from a lurching bus with filthy windows. When the bus drove to Kamari to pick up some people at a couple of hotels there, we did see several photographers perched on rooftops, shooting the sunrise, so I imagine it was impressive.

You could always take a short walk from your Firostefani hotel to find a place offering an unobstructed view to the east; I recall seeing a few such spots while walking along the footpath between Firostefani and Imerovigli. The staff at your hotel might be able to recommend a good sunrise viewing location.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

Hmmm.. Maybe I will get up super early on one of my days with a car and drive over to a beach on the east side of the island.. I wanna see a sunrise on each of the islands i will be on.

I always get hassled by people for not taking pictures of sunsets! Well.. I dont happen to be a morning person! haha..

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

Actually, you can just walk to the side of Firostefani next to the main road. From there you should be able to watch the sunrise. If there's something in the way, just walk up to Imerovigli, about 1/2 mile.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

I stayed at Dream Island Hotel - Fira. All rooms face the East side and I watched the Sunrise every morning 06:15 onwards from my balcony.

I enjoyed my stay here and I'm going back!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

The sunrise is very nice at Kamari. I saw a couple swimming at sunrise once; I've got to try it one day.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

If sunset is great, sunrise is magical imho :)

During my 2007 stay, use to wake up at 06:30am every day of the rest of the year, i was "cursed" to wake up at the same hour every day.

If you add on this the even more relaxing days, i woke up at 06:00am, 06:15am, 05:40am, 06:30am and so on.

If you asked me, i would tell you that these hours turned to be the more magic of all of my trip.

We stayed in Oia and sunrise could not also be seen directly. I did not bother at all. I was stuffed by sunset pictures anyway. What sunrise hours did offer me was this magic moment when cliffs and villages on a distance turned out and "ascended" to get visible through the morning humidity mist. When the rest of my company was sleeping, i was out jogging and having the village all of my own.

So, it's not a beaten path, nevertheless i strongly advise on waking up early once, in order to see what i imho conceived as a visual miracle. With or without direct visual of ascending sun :) the whole point is the cliffs so early in the day :)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beautiful Sunsets.. How about the Sunrise?

Hey, don't forget the full moonrise. Watching from Oia as the full moon rises from behind Fira across the caldera is something I've been fortunate enough to witness a few times and will never forget.