We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini - September

London, England
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini - September

hi there

Im looking for some advice regarding an upcoming trip to santorini. Myself and my girlfriend are looking to go to Santorini in the first week in September for a week-long break.

Im hoping someone could help me out b recommending a hotel or apartment to stay in. It seems that SC apartments seem to be a popular thing and i wondered why this was and if its better to stay in apartment or a hotel (i appreciate any answers can purly be anecdotal, but be great to hear any inside info)

were just looking for somewhere tranquil but cosmopolitan and ideally with some nice local beaches.

thanks

Andy

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini - September

You will find that there's very little difference between the SC apartments/studios and most of the so-called hotels on Santorini. Self-catering facilities are fairly common as a way to attract more guests, an attempt to appeal to a wider clientele, as it were. The well-worn words hotel, studio, villas, apartment, room and suite are practially interchangeable until you get into the more expensive realm of 4* and 5* "luxury" accomodations. Few "hotels" in the lower price range have very many amenities beyond what most of them have. Most (except for the absolute cheapest rooms) have A/C, fridge, coffee maker, housecleaning and TV. A few have internet access. Some have swimming pools (almost none are heated) and/or private jacuzzi tubs either inside or out on a balcony. Some offer breakfast as part of the package, either built in to the price or as an added optional expense. Only a rare (and expensive) few have on-site restaurants, massage/spa/gym facilities, concierge services, room service, etc.

The most popular villages, Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia, overlook the caldera but there are no beaches on that side of the island. The two most popular beach villages are Kamari and Perissa/Perivolos. Do some research, name your village of choice, which amenities you require and what you're willing to spend per night and hopefully you'll get some recommendations.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini - September

Hi Andy

I am just back from Perissa yesterday (unfortunalty!) for our first time.

Its a nice laid back little resort with a long black sand beach, overlooked by a hugh mountain. There are 2 main roads in the resorts (neither with footpaths), one is mainly supermarkets, with a few small shops with bags, sandals etc, and a few restaurants, the other, runs along the length of the beach and this is where most of the action is at night. Plenty of restaurants and bars with stunning veiws!!. There is also a dive centre there if this interests you.

We stayed in the letta studios (booked though xl.com)

http://www.stdletta.eunet.gr. Very nice studios with a large pool and pool bar, although they dont serve food, but there is a small snack bar just up the road.

What struck me most, was the lack of britishness of the resort (sorry, I dont mean that offensivly) in that there were no real British / Irish bars showing the Soaps or having table quizes, bingo nights and serving English/irish breakfasts etc that I have seen in other resorts, it was very greek. There were a lot a greeks on holiday there.

Fira is 20-25 minutes away on the bus and you can also take a water taxi to Kamari.

There are a few bakeries there, which would provide options for breakfast and lunch for SC and eating at night is not expensive, although the restaurants on the waterside are more expensive.

I would definelty go back again.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
257 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini - September

Hi Andy,

I dont know what your budget is, but I stayed at the Sun Rocks resort. It is on the expensive side (it was after all a honeymoon) and is for couples only. No beach but nice pool with sunbeds. It is in Firastefani and has the most beautiful view. It is quiet and relaxing, with a small cafe, free internet, great breakfast and bar by the pool. if you dont mind stairs, this is a good place for you.

Check out the reviews on this site :) enjoy!

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
257 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini - September

Hi Andy,

I dont know what your budget is, but I stayed at the Sun Rocks resort. It is on the expensive side (it was after all a honeymoon) and is for couples only. No beach but nice pool with sunbeds. It is in Firastefani and has the most beautiful view. It is quiet and relaxing, with a small cafe, free internet, great breakfast and bar by the pool. if you dont mind stairs, this is a good place for you.

Check out the reviews on this site :) enjoy!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini - September

Cut and pasted from 'worldwiserireland' -

'What struck me most, was the lack of britishness of the resort (sorry, I dont mean that offensivly) in that there were no real British / Irish bars showing the Soaps or having table quizes, bingo nights and serving English/irish breakfasts etc that I have seen in other resorts, it was very greek. There were a lot a greeks on holiday there'.

That's why I keep on going back, because the Brits haven't totally ruined the place yet with their British bars, Sunday lunch like mother makes, bingo etc. The minute that happens, I'm off.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini - September

Greece Accommodation - The staple of the islands is 'rooms for rent'/small hotels. There is very little difference between the two. Both provide simple rooms with sh/wc. Sometimes in places with larger rooms you get 'studios' which means minimal SC equippment provided, normally just a two plate hob, fridge and a couple pots and pans.

However most people don't use the facilities and eat out in tavernas and so on, after all you are on holiday and people are trying to have a rest.

The vast majority of accommodation does not have any restaurant, hence the proliferation of tavernas.

You are vaguely hinting at luxury (tranquil and cosmopolitan), I don't know anything about that, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

It is one BIG mistake to go to Santorini at all if you are after a beach holiday. All the beaches are black sand/grit most people don't like this.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini - September

bigsnitch

I agree with you totally - I really felt like I had left everything at home this time - I didnt even see Sky news anywhere. Its definetly a good time to go now while it still has the greek feel about it.

I hate going on holiday and seeing an Irish bar staring me in the face!! :D

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini - September

Im sure there is an Irish Bar in Kamari and there is one in Thria which is really expensive but fab on a night time i was rather tipsy the last time i was in there though

united kingdom
Level Contributor
377 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini - September

Same here I avoid |English/Irish bars, places with tv , sunday roasts etc etc like the plague.

Love it to be *Greek* that is why we go away...

Manchester
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini - September

In addition to the messages re Santorini not being English - fab. I have been before but was for a brief period of 2 days and the weather was miserable so wasn't the best - looking to go to Greece this September and hoping to find somewhere which is not 'Little Britain' basically - somewhere that is good to get to know the local people, scenic and nice nightlife, tavernas, etc - can anyone recommend anywhere in addition to Santorini as I am thinking maybe somewhere with better beaches?

Thanks