We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your top 5 in Santorini

California
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Your top 5 in Santorini

I am planning my activities in Santorini for my 3 day trip in early September.

What are your top 5 things to do while in Santorini?

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

1. Sit by pool over looking caldera.

2. Sit by pool overlooking caldera with cold beer

3. Sit by pool overlooking caldera with cold wine

4. Sit at restaurant overlooking caldera with cold wine

5. <censored>

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

1 oia casttle/sunset

2.Ancient thera(akrotiri is closed)

3.santo winery

4 black- sand beach(vlyxada-perissa)

5.pathway imerovigli(skaros)to oia.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

All 10 ideas are great - But I know if was me, I'd be taking Joes advice.

I just get to damn lazy on my holidays!

Another suggestion is to just hire a car and end up where ever you end up - Santorini is a stunning island to drive around, although it may not be a good idea to visit a winery with a car?? Might cause problems trying to get home again :D

London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

Joe, I for one will take your advice ;D

Might still add a few nice meals in between the activities you suggested...

Our trip to Santorini is getting closer, only three more weeks to go - can't wait!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

Good point about the pathway from Oia to Fira, I would precede one of my activities with that :-)

And for the active and fit, you can walk right OVER ancient Thira from Kamari to Perissa or the other way, and get the boat back, and then do activity 1-4 late afternoon onwards.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

I'm definately with joe....

Santorini for me is total relaxation in stunning surroundings...

But I would include the walk along the pathway from Fira to Imerovigli.. The view is breathtaking...

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

If part of the moon is out you can look at the Caldera at night as well, should be 3/4 moon in earlt Sept. Beautiful the way it shimmers off the sea. No clouds over Santorini, not allowed.

They have a day cruise to the volcano, followed by a trip to the hot springs so you can dive off the boat and swim in the Aegean Sea and then off to lunch at Thirassa. Ship leaves about 10:00 AM and arrives back about 2:30 PM, leaving plenty of time to sit by the pool and have a cold one while viewing the Caldera. Your villa can arrange everything, about €27 covers everything including transportation to the port.

Looking at the Caldera is somwhat akin to a religeous experience.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

5- The shopping in Fira and Oia (the have big sponges)

4- Akrotiri beach

3- The scary bus ride from Fira to Oia

2- Walking down to Amoudi and having lunch by the water

1- Watching the amazing sunset from Firostefani.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,745 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

JoeintheUK is right about the walk Kamari-Ancient Thera-Perissa (or vice-versa) over the mountain, but it's not just for the fit and active - I'm over 50 and overweight and I don't have much trouble with it. An interesting variation is to take the goat path from the parking area in the saddleback below Ancient Thera up to the highest point on the island (Profitas Ilias, fabulous view, old monastery) and then an easy stroll down to Pyrgos, where you've earned a good lunch.

An off-the-beaten track idea is to take the free waterbus from Ammoudi to Thirassia. This gives you a better opportunity to explore Santorini's little sister than the brief visits most tourists take as part of the volcano cruise. There's not much there apart from the views and the feeling that you're seeing Santorini as it was before the tourist boom. Not sure I should have told you this...

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your top 5 in Santorini

'Looking at the Caldera is somwhat akin to a religeous experience'

I totally agree with you on that. No matter how many times I go back to Santorini, I start getting butterflies in my stomach every time I go up to Fira and walk down from Gold Street to see the Caldera for the first time that trip. In June this year, I spent a whole afternoon just sitting on the terrace of the Kastro bar, drinking wine and looking out over the Caldera just thinking 'God, take me now, I'm happy'. The last sight of the Caldera in any holiday is always a wrench and I always end up with a lump in my throat as I say my goodbyes to it.

Only 4 weeks today until I go back and I'm counting the hours.

Martin