We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

XL.com - gone into liquidation

Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
XL.com - gone into liquidation

Just heard on the news that the travel company xl.com have gone bust!! Thousands of holiday makers stranded across Europe and Florida. And thousands of very disappointed holidaymakers here, waiting to go on holidays.

If you've booked through a tour operator like Thomas Cook etc, you'll get your fully money back, but if you have booked a holiday through xl.com all money is lost.

I feel so sorry for anyone affected by this - we just returned from Santorini on Tuesday, after booking through xl.com - there was a wedding party of 175 people who left from Ireland on Tuesday. They will be in a bit of bother, as in Ireland, you can only book through xl.com - and therefore they will have to find their own way home.

Can't believe XL were taking bookings up until midnight last night, knowing they wouldn't be flying anywhere!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

Here's a link to the xl.com site, and their statement

http://www.xl.com

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

I was due to fly out on the 23rd and had also booked for 2 weeks in June next year.

I've managed to get a Thomas Cook flight going out on the 25th but I've had to pay through the nose for it - £400!!!!!!!!

It's disgusting that XL were allowed to carry on taking people's money knowing how much trouble they were in. No doubt the owners of XL will come out this smelling of roses as usual leaving us 'little people' to suffer.

Don't forget that the hotels and all of the other business on the island will suffer too - the hotel I use, Smaragdi in Perissa, relies almost totally on XL and Kosmar for their business. I spoke to Smaragda (the owner) this morning to re-arrange my room and she was in tears - she's not been paid by Kosmar for ages now.

Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
701 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

XL Leisure goes in to administration.

The collapse of Britains 3rd largest tour operator will have a huge impact through the travel industry, not only directly with the many different companies operating directly under the XL Leisure banner, but by a large amount of other travel companies that use XL Airlines and have customers booked on flights with them.

The companies that are part of XL and that have ceased trading immediately are -

Aspire Holidays Limited

Excel Holidays

Freedom Flights Limited

Medlife Hotels

The Really Great Holiday Company (Cruise City)

The Florida Skytrain

Transatlantic Vacations

Travel City Direct

Travel City International

Kosmar Holidays

This could have a massive knock on effect for the travel industry in the UK.

Graham

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

Annie was shocked when I heard this on Morning Ireland at 7. i was actually going to book a holiday with them last year but did not like their hard sell tactics and decided not to book with them!

Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

Bigsnitch - completely agree, it's a shame for us holidaymakers, but a huge blow for hotel owners!!

Suzy - I was only looking at their website yesterday evening to see if they had their 2009 schedule up - we retuned on Tuesday, and had such a great time (and pleasant flight) I was willing to book again for next year!! What a pity XL are the only company that operated out of Ireland to Santorini!!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

Annieok - I'd already booked for next year too - hopefully I'll get something back from my credit card company.

I'll be on the net over the weekend trying to get my flights for next June sorted.

Luckily, I'm a solo traveller - people with families and people organizing weddings must be frantic.

Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

bigsnitch - fingers crossed for you!! I hope you get refunded and sorted.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

Annie :Always wanted to visit Santorini and was delighted when XL came on the market 2/3 years ago but just did not like their sales tactics on the phone. I think the recent collapse of airlines and travel agents would make me be very cautious what airlines and holiday company's I use :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

74,000 English passengers and 4,000 Irish passengers stranded by XL.

I was looking at their Irish brochure, and they had quite a large number of hotels in Santorini, especially in Kamari. I imagine the English brochure would carry even more properties. I hope the hotels in question have been paid in advance!! What an awful situation.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: XL.com - gone into liquidation

I have a feeling that the CAA in the UK will ensure that the hotels are paid - I'm sure I heard this on one of the news bulletins earlier but may be wrong as I was running around like a blue a***ed fly trying to reorganise my own holiday at the time.

I know that when I spoke to the owner of the Smaragdi hotel in Perissa she was a bit worried about getting the money owed to her by XL.