We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Santorini question

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Santorini question

We will be flying from Atlanta to Athens and then going to Santorini. Do you advise getting a connecting flight to Santorini the same day we arrive in Athens or should we arrive a day early and stay overnight in Athens. I wasn't sure if connecting would be too long of a day but do like the idea of getting right to Santorini without a second day of in and out of the airport. We plan to sightsee in Athens on the departing end of the trip.

Thanks!Terri

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Santorini question

Hey Terri and welcome:-) Your instincts are IMO correct..fly out directly! Nothing beats jet-lag like an isle! Have fun....and Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Santorini question

Hi,

You're certainly planning to do things the right way round! Connect straight away for your flight if at all possible, the timing of your transatlantic flight is the key.

I'm sure the many helpful regulars that cross the pond will be on here soon to give the best timings ideas!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Santorini question

Hi there

My vote too - connect right away from Athens airport, after all, you're there already and saves a night's unpacking, then repacking and a run back out to the airport from the city. Athens airport is easy to navigate - it's all under one huge terminal so no buses between terminals or anything like that. Get to Santorini, have a beer and relax right away. Try to save at least 2-3 full days at the end to see the sights of Athens.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Santorini question

I agree with my esteemed colleagues. Even though you'll be exhausted from the long flight it's much better to save Athens for the end so you don't have to scramble to get back to the mainland at the last minute for your flight home.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Santorini question

And another yes to connecting directly to Santorini if you can manage the connection. I think you'll be glad that you did.

6. Re: Athens to Santorini question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 00:19