We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,241 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

I've discovered a website with much better fares for international flights from the States to Greece,

http://www.globester.com/

I've never seen them before, but when I did a price comparison for a flight from where I live in Oregon to Athens, which on Orbitz came in at $1364 (inc. all taxes and surcharges) the same exact flights on Globester came in at $834 (inc. all taxes and surcharges), $530 less!

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

Thanks, BLL. I check several times a day on various sites and the cheapest I've found is $1440. I'm off to check out this site. Thanks!

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

Darn. I got excited when I saw $950, but when I clicked on the part where it shows the additional taxes, the total was $1,404. I keep thinking with gas prices less than half of what they were last year that airfare prices HAVE to come down at some point. I guess the airlines are trying to make up for all those bad months they had, but a sale would be nice. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

I tend to be leary of 'too good to be true':-) Never heard of globester either..but hey..these days, everything is worth a look-see! I'd give it till Feb., when the carriers start seeing what the traveller's 'feel' look like..it's pretty much the time to make/break for Summer Season flights! ENjoy!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

I'm following you around from Greece Forum to GReece forum, BLL, with the thread I found by Googling "Globester Business News Stories" -- it is a website called "Measured UP" which prints reviews of companies' good service AND bad service:

the particular thread is

measuredup.com/review/HORRIBLE-EXPERIENCE-WI…

--- the unhappy customer apparently was stranded and it cost him thousands; the Globester company posted a response which in effect said that he should have read the fine print, and they TRIED to get him on a flight etc etc .. there is a list of other complainants including a honeymooner; some say that the company takes your money & never reserves your seats. The English of the Globester response is flawed, I believe the company might be based in South Asia.

Anyway, if it sounds too good to be true .... it usually is. BEWARE.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

Yes, I just read that same review, and others that were just as negative.

The good news is that I'm finding other internet airfare companies that are offering the same itinerary at approximately the same price, so I can still save a lot of money.

I Googled "airfare consolidators" and found the better prices from those companies linked there.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

Is that just to Athens Brotherleelove?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

Looks like just Athens, i got $1030 from Newark Nj the frist two weeks of Sept! that's with taxes and one stop.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

That's a great fare Brotherleelove, I'll have to switch around the dates a little!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

Opps, I should have read the follow-ups.

anyway I think the fares will drop a lot!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap flights from U.S. to Greece

Based on the reports I read I sent an email to Globester asking how long after they receive my credit card info and travel itinerary can I actually confirm the transaction with the airlines involved. They responded right away and told me that it happens as soon as they receive my info and that I can confirm directly with the airlines the next day. As long as I make a purchase a couple of months in advance of my actual departure, since I would be paying by credit card, I would have plenty of time to deal with any problems that might arise if they don't live up to their promise. Of course it's good to be cautious when you read bad reviews, but we all know that sometimes everything goes wrong with a hotel reservation, so why not assume the best instead of the worst until proven otherwise? I still think it's a good option.

Other discount airfare internet bookers that gave me approximately the same price are.

http://www.atiflights.com

http://www.airfarestore.com

http://www.whentofly.com