We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or not?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
422 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car or not?

Hi everyone -

We will be in Oia for 4 days/nights in May. Would you recommend renting a car to get around, or relying on taxis, buses, and feet? We don't usually do that, but it looks like we would have more flexibility and be able to see more sights, beaches, etc with our own vehicle. I'm leaning towards renting one....

-should we arrange it ahead of time or wait until we get there?

-where from?

-how is available is parking? Is that an issue?

Thanks! : )

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car or not?

Hi heio, I would definitely recommend to rent a car! In May you'll have no problems with parking yet and it's not necessary to arrange bookings in advance. There are plenty of car rentals all over the island.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,688 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car or not?

A car will definitely make your exploration easier and keep you spontaneous. Lots of time can be wasted waiting for buses.

Be sure to go to your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test required. If you get in an accident and don't have one your insurance will be invalidated and you'll be in serious trouble with the police.

In May you can just wait until you're there to get a car, there will be plenty of bargains then since the season will have just begun. Each village has at least a couple of rental agents. Don't bother renting from the 'big boys' when you can bargain with the independents.

In May parking will be easy.

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car or not?

in May is better to rent a car from to take taxis, because rent a car prices is low(20-30 euros per 24hours). if you havenot transfer from port or airport to oia, I propose you to rent a car from first day.

On port you can rent a car from "spiridakos" or you can to book online rentacar from local bussines and receive the car on port or airport without any extra fees.In may all the bussines offer discount prices.

some localbussiness is "accordo'' -"ankor".....

if yours hotel offer transpotation to hotel,then I propose you to rent a car for 2or 3days.in oia central square arount has many rentacar bussiness.

Anyway I dont propose you to rentacar from santorini airport offices (is expesive).

in oia has availlable free parking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car or not?

Hey heiho..I echo all sentiments..we were there early May as well and decided on the spot..no problems (just make sure you have your int'l driver's license)..we rented for 4 days @ 25E a day from a place in Oia..you'll have choices! Definetely the way to go and no waiting around for buses and their schedules! Have fun..and Enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car or not?

One more vote for, "yes for sure you should rent" ( for all the previously mentioned reasons.)

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car or not?

are all the cars manual? I only know how to drive an automatic

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car or not?

For the most part, yes..there are a limited number of automatics on offer which in Season usually go fast or are already booked up! Enjoy!

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car or not?

last years many carrentals bussiness offer automatic car too, but is little more expensive.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car or not?

Can anyone recommend a car rental company on Santorini? We are looking for an automatic for May, so we want to reserve in advance. We are most concerned about having good insurance coverage, as well as a reliable company. Had heard some negative things about some of the companies. For example, someone had posted that Skorditas had added an extra 60euros to the bill, which only appeared on their cc statement after they got home. Has anyone used Emver? Thanks for any recommendations.

Norway
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a car or not?

Have You considered renting a ATV? We have found that to be the best way to go around the Island.

It's:

* cheap (ATV Kymco 150cc, 2 Persons, From 15€)

* automatic

* stop-where-you-like & go-where-you-like

* possible to have a little wine without concerning to much about the police

* a nice way to get a tan while you go around

* a lot more FUN!

www.ankor.gr/page.php…

have a nice stay

best and love

Morten