We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

I have 2 1/2 days on Santorini and want to sunbathe 1 of those days. Would you recommend the Red Beach over all other beaches on Santorini?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

Hey fineshot2000:-) Red beach is indeed amazing..a bit of a trek to get to but well worth it! If you're looking for a place not neccessarily a 'beach', head down to Ammoudi in Oia and walk around past the tavernas/seawall there..although it's rocks, the water is great for some swimming! If you get hungry, you can just walk back around the bend there and have a meze/refreshment at Katina's! ENjoy!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

This is a photo of the swimming spot Litsa mentioned: …panoramio.com/photos/original/2317031.jpg

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

Sigh~

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

"Would you recommend the Red Beach over all other beaches on Santorini?"

No. If it wasn't red no one would bother going there. Plus if you are sunbathing it doesn't matter where you are as its the same sun, also the sea at (for example) kamari beach is just as clear at red beach plus there are far more service - bars, restaurants showers at Kamari (or Perissa) plus no hassle to get there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

I didnt really like Kamari.. It was really neat for sure, but the red powdery stuff in between the red and black pebbles stuck to my wet skin, and got everywhere in my stuff.. It was different then sand, more of a powder that was super irritating.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

I would make it a point to at least go to the Red Beach as in doing so you can see a lot of the island on the way. I does get packed though and lacks all those things Joe stated, I always say it's personal preference. Look over some of the threads and photos on it! I've been there a few times and found it always calm and nice for swiming. As mentioned down below Ioa is also nice as is Kamiri.

7. Re: Red Beach, the best beach on Santorini?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 23:17