We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini in July- first timers

kent
Level Contributor
190 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini in July- first timers

Hi there!

am looking to come to santorini in july with my boyfriend

was wondering if anyone has any advice

firstly- where to stay? somewhere near restaurants where we can walk out etc but not too busy or overly touristy but near places where we can get buses or transport to other places

would love a view as im a sucker for a nice view

also a pool etc

self catering would be cool or a hotel

not fussed about breakfast so room only but self catering would work too!

dont want to pay massive amounts but will pay extra for nice view

it will be for a week

many thanks in advance

x

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini in July- first timers

If I can summarise, you want a quaint little village, hardly any tourists but lots of restaurants, good transport, great view, good pool that happens to have direct flight from the UK (even though you want non-touristy), and is not too expensive (even though its in the Euro zone)?

Sorry, but this is NOT Santorini in July :-) If you do find such a place, please let me know, and also NASA, as I suspect its not on this planet :-)

I suggest you try late May- mid June or mid Sep- mid Oct and even then accept there will be crowds and it will be touristy, IIRC Santorini is one of the top 3 or 4 tourist destinations in the world. I love it, BUT, its not a quiet backwater,and how can it be with direct flights from all over Europe, including the ones that will take you there, with numerous massive cruise ships calling in every single day?

If you are stuck with going in July, accept that pretty much everywhere in Greece is tourist-oriented (especially if you only go for a week as that limits travel options to the more popular places). Maybe there are some more out of the way places on the mainland you could drive to???

Or accept that Santorini will be busy, frenetic, crowded buses, difficult parking, and yet still, be beautiful and spectacular.

In which case to meet a budget holiday I suggest you look at Kamari or Perissa where pools wont come at a price which will make your eyes water and you will be in range of the spectacular scenery within 1/2 hour. This will also be substantially more affordable, shall we say, than a hotel perched on the cliff edge with a pool at the height of the tourist season.

M30
London
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini in July- first timers

Kamari is quieter at the north end, look at the Boat House or Arion Bay. They are on the sea front.

London
Level Contributor
589 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini in July- first timers

Hi KentLucy

My Girlfriend and I have been to Perissa twice and loved it!!

It is fairly quiet although there are a couple of late night bars. Food prices reasonable and quality pretty good. The views aren't as spectaculr as Thira or Oia but the mountain at the back of the village (upon which ancient Thira sits) is impressive - and you still get a wonderful sundown! Most of the appartments have pools and are within 10-15 mins of the beach and other facilities.

Kamari is a much busier resort and I imagine will be 'mobbed' in July. However, the boat service that links Perissa and Kamari worth doing, especially if there's a breeze!!.

We loved Perissa and are going back again in September - would have gone in June as well but got such a good deal to go to Lesbos so trying there this time.

Hope this helps!

Pete

kent
Level Contributor
190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini in July- first timers

erm 'joeintheuk' i didnt mean NO tourists at all im not that nieave?!!!

i understand it will be july and busy

i merely meant not AS touristy as the main place thira?

i dont know the island so was juts asking advice.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini in July- first timers

We love Kamari as I prefer it a bit busier. I go July time when its peak season and it is busy. Going in June this year so it will be nice to compare the difference.

Either Kamari or Perissa would be best. The water taxi is a must between the two, a great experience. If you want a night out in either/or you could get a taxi.

kent
Level Contributor
190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini in July- first timers

thanks for the tips have decided to opt for IMEROVIGLI now i think

x

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini in July- first timers

In which case see if the Anastasis Apartments have any vacancies. A little way out of Imerovigli proper but a great hotel with a bus stop pretty much right outside and a decent sized pool. Or a bit further out still (5 mins more walk), the Santorini Princess also with a good pool.

8. Re: Santorini in July- first timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2009, 06:18