We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Santorini on own

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Santorini on own

Hi

I'm thinking of going to Santorini for a week in late June this year. I'm a thirty-something female and want to stay somewhere that's about 60 Euros or less a night , but is still decent and ummm...isn't too alienating to a gal travelling on her own! Any suggestions for places to go would also be welcome - i'm pretty comfortable meeting people but not sure if people go out on their own there?

Thanks!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

Last year it was possible to get a decent room for 2 without A/C in Kamari in July for 35 EUR (ask at Lisos tours - the prices at Kamari tours are usually higher). Also, I often spent a night or two in Alexandra (a little bit tired but decent hotel in the outskirts of Kamari). They usually charge 40 EUR/night for two persons including breakfast.

I spent two summers traveling on my own and enjoyed it a lot. I met many new people. It was also fun organizing the day the way I wanted and then enjoying coffee on the caldera.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

I always travel solo. Meeting people is not difficult and no one will look at you sideways.

Fira is the island's social hub. Check Dina's Place, San Giorgio Villa, Anemomilos Suites/Villa, Koronios Villa, Villa Popi, Kiklamino Studios, and more on this list. Select your preferred village:

santonet.gr/hotels-in-santorini/fira-hotels1…

Your money will stretch furthest in one of the beach villages. Kamari and Perissa have decent nightlife.

M30
London
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

A number of singles were at the Arion Bay and the Boat House next door in Kamari. B&B under 60e, not sure how much this year

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

Im travelling to Santorini on my own too! I dont think its as unusual as you think! Once you get over order a table for one it get much better :))

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

I've been going to Santorini on my own now for about 4 years and to be honest, it's not a problem.

As NE Lass says, once you get your head around going into a restaurant on your own it's a doddle. In fact, I've had some brilliant evenings because sometimes people take pity on you and invite you to join their party and for some reason, I always seem to get better service when I'm alone. I've met some wonderful people who I probably wouldnt have done if I'd been travelling with someone else.

Just go with the flow, enjoy the experience and have a great time.

For me, the biggest advantage of travelling alone is one of pure self indulgence. I can do what I want, when I want and to hell with anyone else. I love it.

Martin

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

I am also going on my own..lol

Think its a revolution ;)

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

Yes i agree Martin Ive had some really wonderful holiday experiences because Im on my own and people do sort of adopt you ...... whether you want them to not not :)

It has led to some really funny nights too!

I just think that why should your holidays stop because your on your own! If some people have a problem with that then lets just give them a wide birth and just enjoy ourselves regardless.

Pauline x

toronto
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

i will be in santorini in june also...women in my 30's .. let me know if you find a good place..cheers

Austin, TX
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

Me too! I'll be in Santorini on June 17... solo woman traveller. :) This is great to know how many others are out there!

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Santorini on own

Thank you all for your great advice. I'm going to check out the places mentioned. Also trying to work out the best (and not too exxy) way of getting to Santorini from the Amalfi Coast. I'll let you know how it all goes and thanks again! It is good to know that I won't have to pretend my 'friend' has just gone to the bathroom when dining alone (!) and I hope to meet some lovely people.