We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini tomato balls.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini tomato balls.

We have returned back from Santorini and I fell in love with the tomato balls that are a speciality in Santorini. Now back home..boooo...we hope to try and re-create the tomato balls. I'm sure that they will not taste anything like the real thing though!!!

However, I'am unsure where to buy spearmint from, which is a key ingredient. I live in the UK and would welcome any suggestions. Or if anyone knows if I could you another herb that may taste as good and one that I can get hold of easily as I have never seen spearmint for sale in the UK.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

You can use regular mint. Fresh is best. Here's a recipe: greek-recipe.com/static/…Tomato_balls.html

Good luck!!!

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

Dear tomato balls in santorini is very taste only if you use smaull tomatos from santorini earth.

santorini tomatos is diferent from other smaull tomato type chery.she is small particular form and all juice because is produced without water, is produced only in the Santorini and comes out a time from June until end June afterwards the plant dry up .only some restaurants has genuine tomato balls ''tomatokeftedes'' that they have big quantity of tomato-onion-spearmint. the secret is very tomato, onion-spearmint and aromatic plants and little flour. Personally I produce tomato in the old days it existed factory of production of tomato juice, but closed. today it is produced plum tomato for individual use. I have tryed a lot of restaurants in the Santorini, the best 'ntomatokefte' it has in the pyrgos village the restaurant ''kalisti''.

final the secret isnot the spearmint , the secret is the tomato.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

raecam info of you link isnot the authentic santorini tomato balls.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

Ahhh Fotinos..think you hit the nail on the head here..it MUST be the tomatoes;-) Trying to find a tomatoe anywhere that comes close or even somewhat near the wondrous ones they produce in Greece..that alone is a challenge..lol! I rarely eat tomatoes here in the States..but can hardly get my fill in Greece..absolutely magnificent (not to mention their onions..cucumbers, etc.....! ENjoy all!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

I just had those last night here and I love them. Too bad we can't duplicate the recipe at home. Delicious! I'll have to make sure to have them one more time before we leave.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

Litsa, I agree about the tomatoes we're able to find here. Yuk! For the first time ever I've planted a few different varieties of tomatoes in my garden this year. I'm determined to produce tomatoes reminiscent of the ones my grandfather produced in his garden. I'd rush home from school and head to the garden to pick and eat a ripe, red, wonderfully acidic tomato warm from the sun. I'll try making tomato balls but from what fotinos writes I don't have much chance of coming close to what is available on Santorini. ;-(

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

the authentic photo of santorini tomato is the photo of this link

www.santowines.gr/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1336

and in santorini NOT sale santorini tomato in supermarkets, isnot the same santorini tomato with smaull tomato where sale in supermarkets.

Thanks

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

fotinos, is there any way I can purchase seeds so that I can try to grow my own tomato plants here in the US? I know that growing conditions are not the same but I'd love to try.

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini tomato balls.

I can to you send seed, also it can somebody that reads foroum and is in the Santorini(from your country) or will pass from Santorini him I give seed to you him deliver.

From UK is many , post and will find one

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini tomato balls.