We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Part 7 – Santorini (and return back home)

Entering the caldera of Santorini on board a ferry is always special. The steep caldera side, rimmed with the white villages on top – the blue sea and sky, and the dramatic colours in the caldera side – telling the tale of what once happened here…. some 3.500 years ago…. We dock, and all the travellers hurry ashore – it looks like being the first is what counts for most. Again a big number of hotel owners at the exit – running after people, yelling, poking. I decide to play it slow, and head for one of the tavernas in the port to have some refreshment and a light (and late) lunch.

I find a free table in the shades next to the entrance, and enjoy my snack for lunch. Then I lit a cigarette. Next to me is an American couple, and the wife doesn’t stop talking and comments are given to all and everything. I had longed for some quiet moments, but she just goes on – loudly, heard by all. When I light my cigarette she exclaims: You are not going to smoke that one, are you ?!!!! Then she turns to her husband and is complaining about someone being insolent and start smoking by the table next to hers. I gently talk to her and tell that she is now on another continent, in another country, they have got other laws than where she comes from and that I enjoy a cigarette after my meal – it is not forbidden, at least not when I am sitting in the open air. She looks unsympathetic at me, close her mouth and a little later they leave…. Peace !

When I look at my watch things are getting into a rush. I have to check in at my hotel, and I have to be in Oia by 7 pm. I get a taxi, and enter the reception. There is Yiannis behind the counter. He looks up, drops what he is doing and comes running – kisses and hugs on my cheeks. “Erik – you’re back !”. He then tells me that he had a fax from Naxos Sun Holidays telling that a VIP customer would arrive, but he never looked at anything else than the surname – and now he understands that the name says “Erik”. He has booked me into one of their very best rooms on the top floor, very long and steep stairs – and I ask him if he can change it. I tell him about my knee injury, and that walking stairs is about the most painful thing to do. He swiftly change rooms for me, and I am invited for a chat and some refreshments which I gratefully accept. We do some reminiscing, and then we start talking about Naxos. It turns out that one of my best friends (Kiriakos in the local products grocery shop) also is one of Yiannis’ best friends – the ties are knitted even tighter also for Melina Hotel.

This chat means I am even more delayed for the Oia event, but I get a taxi and gets to Oia on the minute it all is about to start. I have studied the map provided by BrotherLeeLove (BLL) closely, and have found that the restaurant must be next to the stairs descending to Ammoudi. Thus I get off in the square, and start walking the alleyways. It is far from simple – the alleyways are packed with people from all over the world – probably looking for a good site for the sunset. I use a lot of time searching – the upper street, the lower street – no signs of any restaurant. I take some photos while walking along and ask some people about directions, but there are no locals. Then I get a text from CameraGirl – Where are you ? I try to explain, and is asked to return to the square in front of the big church. There are no restaurants there…. More texting, and I am asked to follow the marble alleyway to the east as far as it goes, then I will find a big church and the restaurant is on the opposite side of the road…..

Eventually I make it, and am greeted by all. BLL tells me we are next to the stairs descending for the other “beach” in Oia, and if I had asked for the restaurant to the taxi driver he would surely have known. A lesson learned and some good exercise done in the narrow streets of Oia. There are many different persons at the meeting (or the dinner, I should say). A newly wed American couple – heading for Naxos the next day and eager to hike Mount Zas during their two days on Naxos – other experienced travellers, a reunion with CameraGirl and Kenzie, and it was also inspiring to meet BLL and Heimdall – well known from the forums. Heimdall is of Norwegian origin, and we end up with many subjects which are of special interest for him.

A breakup at appr. midnight, and CameraGirl and her daughter Kenzie, and I get a taxi back to Fira. Some emotional “until the next time”’s, and I decide to wind up the last night with some refreshments in Fira’s main square – people watching, and reflecting over yet another great Greek vacation.

Next day I have a nice breakfast, and then it is off to the airport. Return back home – but it won’t be long until the next time comes along. See you again in late September \ October !

http://tinyurl.com/nazozt

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Hi, Erik! :) Yes, there was plenty of emotion during those goodbyes. You are the sweetest man and Kenzie and I just adore you. It was very sad to walk away that night, but I know we'll see you again someday.

Great report and I love the photos! :)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Many thanks for your kind words, CameraGirl. Until the next time ! :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Your reports are always such a treat Eric;-) Once again, thank you for some wonderful sharing..and again, of course, the wonderful pics..looks like a grand time was had by all..and glad you found your way there to take the shots for all of us to Enjoy!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Thanks for your report. Your photos continue to tell a great story. I still have camera envy.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

I also enjoyed reading your trip reports! (I get annoyed as well when people travel to other countries and expect the same conditions of their own- good for you for telling them as much!)

And I appreciate the examples of warmth and leisurly-ness of the greek isles...

I can't wait to santorini!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

oops *Cant wait to get to santorini!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Thanks all !

I am on my way to do a "Naxos 2009 Overview" out of my experiences this June - some recommendations, some reflectiosn and some photos. They will come in a few days, I expect.

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Bumping this up for Jody. :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Hi Erik

Wonderful narrative as usual and those photos are simply awesome. Thank you for posting the trip reports and all the photos that chronicle your 2009 Greek adventure!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - Part 7: Santorini - and then back home....

Bump.