We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quakes

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Quakes

I see that there was a 6.4 and a 5.9 (?)about 75 miles south of Iraklion and a 4.9 & a 4.6 85 miles to the north, Santorini? Knowing that the Volcano has been silent for over 50 yrs I just hope it stays that way, then there's the Kulumbo Banks (Sp?) which is even worse then the Santorini volcano!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quakes

No worries. These two earthquakes have no correlation. As far as Santorini is concernced, there is the Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano (ISMOSAV) which is the only one of its kind in Greece. ISMOSAV monitors the volcano on a daily basis and its scientists can predict the timing and magnitude of an upcoming explosion. Civil protection plans in Santorini ensure that in case of emergency the entire island can be evacuated in a matter of hours.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quakes

I'm not afraid to travel there but I wonder why it's not listed as the Columbus Reef Volcano? The USGA just gives the longitude, latitude, but when I google it I found more info. Seems there's some activity, I'm just wondering if anyone else heard of it?

Santorini
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quakes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolumbo_(volcano)

Santorini
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quakes

santonet.gr/santorinivolcano/eruption_newevi…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quakes

Here's another, After a lot of hearsay these days in Santorini the Earthquake Planning and Protection Organisation of Greece informs the following:

The Santorini Volcanoes are under constant observation by scientists ,all local authorities are well informed about the recent earthquakes as well as all State authorities.

From the recent information the the institute has gathered from all the observation posts that observe the Santorini volcanoes around the island the following conclusion occurs, the earthquakes that started on the 26th of June 2009 and are still active today where and are not volcanic related and are only so far tectonic.The course of the quakes is steady decreasing and nothing directs to a volcanic activation.The Geophysics Laboratory of Greece confirms that the 5.1R earthquake that occured on the 26th of June 2009 was the main quake and that all the next small earthquakes are a normal reaction.

All other information spread out through the Internet and other means have no official or scientific substance and therefore are not reliable.

They seem to leave out that, I believe, the 57 eruption came as a result of a large quake, 7.4 I think. Anyway as I said I'm not worried at all, just curious about these things.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quakes

"They seem to leave out that, I believe, the 57 eruption came as a result of a large quake, 7.4 I think."

Wrong. There was no 57 eruption. The last eruption happened in 1950 and was a very small one that produced only 70,000 cubic metres of lava and lasted for about three weeks.

Note: a volcanic eruption does not have to be explosive, and that was the case for the past few Santorini eruptions.

7. Re: Quakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2010, 05:17