We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

We will be coming in from NY to Athens for our honeymoon (Oct 3-Oct 11), then fly straight to Santorini for 3/4 days and then ferry over to Mykonos for 2/3 days and fly back to Athens for 2 days before flying back to NY.

However, the problem is none of the flights arriving into Athens match up with those leaving for Santorini. So we either have to sit in the airport for 6-7 hours or have to spend a couple of days in Athens first (something tripadvisor members here don't recommend).

I want to do Athens last but don't want to waste 7 hours sitting in the airport.

What should I do??

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

Garrett,

There is a often debate as to whether to do Athens first or last. I always do Athens first because of the arrival time from the States and the departure flights to the islands. It allows us time to unwind from the long trip before venturing to the islands. We typically cathc the first flight from the islands int eh morning which allows us 4 hours or so before we depart back to the States. If you do decide to leave for the islands directly and have 6 hours at the airport, you could leave your bags at the airport and venture into the city for a couple of hours. Depending on your mode of transportation, you can get to Athens center within an hour, allow for a couple of hours in the City and then get back to the airport with time to spare before your departure. If you do not want to run around, you could walk over to the Sofitel hotel which is right next to the airport and unwind there for a few drinks and relaxation before catching the evening flight to the islands. Enjoy your trip.

New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

If I have a connecting flight to the island that is scheduled 2 hours 5 minutes after the arrival flight to Athens, will I have enough time to do the transfer?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

It will be tight and that short of a period is not usually recommended. You will have to go through customs upon arrival in Athens and then you will have to check your bags in on your domestic flight to the island. Customs does not tend to be a very long process, but you may be arriving around the same time as other flights from the States so it may be a little bit longer. The Athens airport is fairly easy to navigate and is principally one major terminal. The check-in lines for the domestic flights are not typcially that long but I would recommend still checking in for your domestic flight 1 hour before departure. That only leaves you about an hour to go through customs and claim your bag and that assumes the flight from the States is on time.. Given the flight departures to the islands and the arrival of aircraft from the U, I normally stay in Athens upon arrival.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

Check with Athens Airways to see if they havce a flight that is more convenient.

2 hours is enough time _IF_ your incoming flight is on time.

New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

Unfortunately, Athens Airways do not fly in early October..

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

Ιf it were me, I would book the 2 hr 5 min later flight and just hope that I make it. Athens airport is amazing: fast, efficient, and compact. If you've already printed your boarding pass (e-check in 24 hrs before the departure time) you can proceed from baggage pickup directly to the bag drop for the airline; then go to the gate. It takes about 5 mins to walk from the bag drop to the gate; another 5 mins for security. You have to be through security 20 mins before the departure. Conservatively, 50 mins from when you get your bags off the carousel to when your flight departs. The rest of that hour and 15 mins you can spend standing in line at the passport control (usually about 15 mins).

I think you'd make it. I wouldn't want to bet on it but I'd book it if it were me :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

also, web check in with Aegean allows more cabin luggage. Have a look at terms and conditions on the bottom of the page of web check in . This means 2 bags x 8 kilos???

ebooking.aegeanair.com/e-checkin/wizard.aspx…

If you look at baggage allowance {in terms and conditions}, this is what it states. If you look at baggage policy next to terms and conditions it states 15 kilos? typo?? or are my eyes playing up on me. Still, it's in print if anyone wants to dispute the fact.

8. Re: Need advice on trip logistics to Athens and cyclades in Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:17