We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venue charge

england
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venue charge

Hi, I am looking to get married in Santorini next May/June 2010 and I am finding everybodies comments more than useful. I am in the process of contacting various companies for further information, I have read somewhere that if a company requires an additionl "Venue charge", that this is something that is not legal in Greece therefore not something that requires payment, can anybody shed any light on this?

Also I notice that wedding companies advertise various cost's of wedding packages, can anybody advise if there are any hidden cost's.

Thanks

Allyson

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Venue charge

Legal vs. illegal charges: It comes down to whether or not you want to use the venue. Either you pay the required fee regardless of the legality or you look elsewhere. The simple truth is that this is just the way business is conducted there and the 'powers that be' are usually indifferent to any legal infractions committed.

If you're not sure of the ethics of the person helping you I suggest you start over with someone else. There are plenty of recommendations here for reliable wedding planners.

england
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Venue charge

Many Thanks for your response, it is very useful.

england
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Venue charge

hi, i am now looking at menu's from different restaurants in santorini, i have since discovered that on top of the cost of each persons meal (approx 50 euro) an additional venue charge of anything up to £1000 euro is then added to the cost, this in some cases only applies if you have less than 35 guests and in my case i may only have 25-30 guests...On top of this i am looking to hoepfully get married at the santorini winery and i am thinking if they also have a venue charge aswell as the restaurants venue charge?? is this right, has anbody else experienced this...i know i have posted a similar question previously and did receive a response but that was when i was thinking about my venue to actually get married and now i have also discovered that restaurants also have venue charges?? is this the case, many thanks..

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Venue charge

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for those restaurants popular as reception venues to charge for the use of the facilities on top of the per-person catering fee. The only way I know of avoiding this is to keep looking until you find a restaurant that doesn't normally host a large reception and is willing to forego the venue charge. As long as you stick with one of the popular ones used by the wedding planners you're going to have to "pay the piper".

As for hidden/extra costs assume that there will be some unless you have absolute assurance from your planner that this will not be the case. Express your concern about this and see what they have to say. Ask for a guarantee.

england
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Venue charge

Thanks very much again for your reply..What you have said I thought as much! And as I would be using a wedding planner there is probably no getting away from the venue/hidden costs..I will mail my planner.thanks x

greece
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Venue charge

Usually they charge by the head, e.g 150-300 people x 30-60 euros regardless of how many show up. for example when i got marries we expected say 200 but 150 showed up but we still payed for 200. but for foreigners with a limited number of guests -50 they might charge more since they will loose money with a less than half empty venue. your best bet is to ask around and get some quotes. as for rates like i said they can charge anywhere from say 30 to 100 depending on the venue and menu. high end restaurants =$$$$, small tavernas =$$

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venue charge

Have you thought about holding your reception in a normal restaurant, and not one that mainly caters for Weddings?

We attended a wedding in Santorini, the ceremony was in a winery, the views were spectacular. The meal was then held up the hill at a very popular venue and although it was impressive, the evening was spoiled when the owner asked for extra money, over and above the original agreement. I don't know how much the original agreement was or the extra amount but I know they had paid out many thousands for the event, with only 25 guests.

The next night we walked past a restaurant in Kamari where a wedding meal was taking place, the wine was flowing, people were dancing, it looked spontaneous and everyone was having a great time, including all the other diners.

I am sure this arrangement would work out much cheaper and could be more fun.

8. Re: Venue charge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 06:17