We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

We want to rent a small vehicle for a day in Santorini and our car insurance company does not cover if we are in an accident. Our credit card company that we will be using said that they only cover collision damage. I do not have a good feeling of what they say. Do the rental car companies in Santorini sell insurance for a day? Looking for insurance that does not have a deductible. How much would it cost to rent a car and full insurance? Do I need to get an international drivers license? Some people that have been to Greece tell me one is not needed and others say yes one is needed? Hope you can clear up some of these questions. Leaving in two weeks. Thank You!!

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

Others will have to advise on the insurance, but I can tell you that you should definitely have an International Driving Permit! Not all rental firms ask to see it, but it's certain that if you are stopped FOR ANY REASON by the Greek police, if you do not have one, you can face a very troublesome and expensive situation! The $15 and two passport pix are a small price to pay for the amount of security having an IDP gives you. Just visit you local AAA office, or go online, download and fill out the application, and do it by mail.

Find the AAA office nearest you here:

aaa.com/PPInternational/International.html

Happy Travels!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

_ALWAYS_ take out the local insurance. If you live in the U.S. or Canada be sure to pick up an International Driving Permit at your local AAA/CAA office. Many times you can rent a car without it if the agency is careless, but if you get in an accident your insurance will be invalidated and you'll be in big trouble with the local police. You may even be detained until you can come up with the CASH to pay for any and all estimated damages to both vehicles. I'm not sure about the costs and the deductibles, but take as much coverage as you can get. If you only want a car for one day you will be able to get comprehensive coverage for one day as well.

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

Hi Brotherleelove, you mentioned that if we are from the US or Canada, we should get an international drivers license. What about residents of Europe (specifically England)? I actually live in England but have a Canadian drivers license. Can you suggest a solution re international drivers license? Thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

It's not an issue I've ever had to address but I would think that there must be some sort of national auto club in the UK where you can get the IDP. As long as you're still driving with your Canadian license you'd need to get the IDP to be 'legal' in Greece.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

BLL has got it right...always buy the insurance...and you can get a car when you are there..you may find (we always do) better rates when you arrive and walk around, or ask at your hotel...many times they have a "deal" with your hotel owner....and always have the International license..you may find someone to rent to you without it..but you are in deep you-know-what, if you have a problem and don't have it...have fun, Santorini is fabulous!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

<<Do the rental car companies in Santorini sell insurance for a day?>>

yep.Make sure you pay for the type that covers your needs there will be several with differing levels of cover. If none is offered or available, you have accidentally wandered into a dodgy back street operation, walk away.

re UK driving licenses, there is an EU agreement, all licenses are valid in each others countries, so no intentional license needed as long as you have an EU one.

7. Re: Car Rental insurance and International Drivers License

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 05:17