We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or Ferry to Santorini from Athens?

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Fly or Ferry to Santorini from Athens?

Is it true that the ferry takes 8 hrs and is full of smokers?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or Ferry to Santorini from Athens?

Smokers only on the open deck as of 01.07.

Conventional ferries such as Bluestar 8 hrs, other ferries may take longer,

fast ferries take about 5 hours,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or Ferry to Santorini from Athens?

or 1 hour from when they call the flight to when you are getting off.

SP-Brazil
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or Ferry to Santorini from Athens?

I got Athens-Rhodes-Athens-Santorini-Athens all by Aegean Air.

I was on my honeymoon and 3 months before the trip couldn't find a reliable source to get the Ferry schedules.

The only point against the flights was the bus trip (X95) from city to airport.

On the plus side, we got some great rates on the website.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly or Ferry to Santorini from Athens?

We took a Blue Star ferry from Santorini to the port for Athens and it took about 5 hours, although there are some that take considerably longer. Yes, we made the mistake of not reserving a seat, because we like to sit outside, and we were subjected to a lot of cigarette smoke, even outside. So, we went downstairs, I do not know if we were suppose to, and sat at a table for some fast food restaurants (smoking was not allowed in this area). So, smoking is a problem but one I think you can avoid by reserving a seat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly or Ferry to Santorini from Athens?

The Blue Star ferry takes either 5 hours or 8 hours depending on how many stops it makes on the way. We took the 8 hour one and loved it. It's a big boat and you can roam about. We had economy airplane-style seats, these were comfy and the seats reclined, so we could take naps. There are several open decks and one deck that is covered - smoking may be a problem on the covered deck, but I don't see how it'd be an issue on the open decks because they are, well, open! There's plenty of space to move around, a Goody's fast food restaurant, a couple of bars, a place to rent DVD players and DVDs, a small shop etc. The advantage of taking the slow Blue Star ferry on the way to Santorini is that you can go out on the open deck and admire the views as the boat draws in. Also you can see several other islands (Naxos, Paros, Ios) on the way. The fast Blue Star ferry leaves late in the afternoon so doesn't reach Santorini until midnight.

Business Class is good too, seating is lounge style, so you have comfy armchairs/sofas and tables at your disposal and there's waiter service too.

Neither service is "full of smokers". I saw no smoking indoors, and never smelt a whiff of smoke outdoors either.

6. Re: Fly or Ferry to Santorini from Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 05:21