We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
83 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

Apologies in advance as I realize this topic has been beaten to death on this forum, however I have a specific question...

I am really interested in doing this hike, however not sure if my significant other can do it all ... Is it possible and worth it to hike maybe from Fira to Imerovigli and then depending on how she is doing, can we take the bus onto Oia?

Also, its would be her birthday during our cruise stop in Santorini ... so I don't think I want to stress her out too much. Any wonderful ideas?

thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Imerovigli
Imerovigli
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

I just finished looking a my photos from may's greece trip. The most memorable moment was the hike from Fira to Oia. This is something I will never forget. My camera broke the first day of my trip so I purchased disposables throughout. I have some good shots but the memories will never be forgotten.

I did this hike alone... loved every single minute of it. I never started out to do the hike but as I started ... could not stop. Once you reach the top of a volcano and look behind you and see what you just hiked...it's breath taking.

As you look forward you see Oia..it's like you are walking to the promise land (LOL) ... do it. I highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

It's only a mile from Fira to Imerovigli, so what you propose is very easy. If you're being tendered ashore below Fira take the cable car up the cliff and when you exit the Cable Car building just walk to the left with the sea on your left shoulder. That's the direction of Imerovigli. Once you're there you can decide whether or not to continue. Oia is about 5-6 miles further. If you want to take the bus the rest of the way to Oia just walk out of the village to the main road and wait until the next bus comes along and flag it down. Simple.

When you get to Oia find a restaurant on the cliff such as Kastro or Skala for a great B-day meal.

But I'm wondering when you're planning to do this. If it's sometime during November you might not like the strong cold winds on the cliff, and when you get to Oia it will be very quiet. There probably won't be any restaurants open there then.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Imerovigli
Imerovigli
Santorini, Greece
Santorini Cable Car
Santorini Cable Car
669 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
83 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

Thanks for the advice... we will be there in a week or so. Are the restaurants really all closed. How windy is it up on the cliffs ?

I did not realize that two towns were only a mile apart... if we do decided to walk a little more towards Oia, are there any other points along the route that we can pick up the bus from? I did not see any other bus stops on the website..

thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

YOu could wander out to the road, or you could get to the first hill after the Santorini Princess hotel (which has a cafe and a pictureque church) and then retrace your steps. Total time about 2 hours, maybe a little more.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

.... upon reflection, probably 3 hours.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

Yes, the shops and restaurants in Oia will be closed by the time you're there. Some will still be open in Fira to catch the business from the cruise ships.

The winds can be strong and it can be cloudy and cold in November. There is one place along the hiking trail between Imerovigli and Oia (about halfway?) where the path returns to the main road. You'll be able to catch a bus there. It doesn't matter if there's a bus stop or not, just flag the bus down and it'll stop.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Imerovigli
Imerovigli
Santorini, Greece
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

I did it in mid Sept. on a nice but windy day. I would say first try a 5 to 6 mile hike bofore you leave. Keep in mind that you don't want to push yourself beyond your limits. Bring an energy drink and eat a banana, it will help. Also make sure you have good sneakers or hiking shoes, just don't bring white ones.

8. Re: Caldera walk - Fira to Oia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2010, 05:18