We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights into Santorini

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flights into Santorini

Does anyone know if there are any flights directly into Santorini from any other airports than Athens. I'm coming from the states and want to try and avoid the ATH airport.

Thanks

Jason

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights into Santorini

<<Does anyone know if there are any flights directly into Santorini from any other airports than Athens>>

Plenty around N Europe, mostly charters, and all (I would think) only in season, say April-Oct. many at unpleasant early morning times, last one I caught from the UK was 6am IIRC.

<<I'm coming from the states and want to try and avoid the ATH airport>>

Why? Its an excellent airport. Are you perhaps thinking of the old international and domestic airports?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights into Santorini

Exactly.

Any specific reason on avoiding it?

It's a new, compact, efficient, clean and easy to navigate airport built nearly 10 yrs ago and tested under extremely heavy passenger loads in a number of occasions.

Athens airport is the main gate to Greece and the most convenient choice regarding intl arrivals and domestic connections.

Most other direct flight to Santorini will probably be charter flights from UK or Germany. This is not the best option necessarily having in mind that any change in some charter flight may disrupt your connections.

Only non-charter flight i recall is a seasonal service of Aegean Airlines directly from Milan ( Italy ) - Malpensa to Santorini. Not sure if it will be running this year though.

If no other specific reason exists for trying to avoid Athens Intl airport, then this is the best option. Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air both fly to Santorini with good modern fleet and good reliable service.

Edited: 05 December 2009, 20:05
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flights into Santorini

I agree with Joe and Nick - Athens International Airport is one of my favourites. It's small by international standards, baggage claim and passport control usually quick, and only a short walk from Arrivals to check-in and domestic departures. What's not to like? :o)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights into Santorini

EasyJet flies directly to Santorini from London/Gatwick during the summer months.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flights into Santorini

That's true, Lee, but Gatwick is one of my least favourite airports. Chances are jgreemore would have to fly into Heathrow (even worse), then transfer to Gatwick. Give me Athens IAP any day! :o)

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flights into Santorini

BTW, if you want to read customer reviews of the airports, go to www.airlinequality.com/Airports/apt_forum.htm . Now that there is a smoking ban at Athens IAP, I like it even better! :o)

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights into Santorini

I think the OP was just trying to avoid another stop over. Coming from California to Athens is at least 18+ hrs. Hanging around the Athens airport another 2-3 hrs. plus the flight to Santorini is just brutal. I suggest doing Athens first, recoup from your flight, then head over after a couple of days in Athens. I'm pretty sure he wasn't just trying to avoid Athen's airport, per se.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights into Santorini

I have used Easyjet from UK(Gatwick) > Mykonos, and Santorini > Gatwick(UK) last year, and they are flying from Gatwick into Crete/Rhodes/Kos which may be of interest as well. They are mostly early morning (incl Santorini) 07:00-08:00 departures, but to Rhodes are 13:00-14:00, Crete 07:00 or 15:00.

There are charter flights (Thomson, T. Cook, Monarch, etc) as well but they are not so flexible, usually stuck with 1 or 2 week returns.

Other European countries do have, I think, charter flights, certainly Germany/Italy.

The only problems that I see is co-ordinating your arrival time in Gatwick/London airport for the Easyjet (or charter) flight, if you miss it you have extra costs and have to wait 2-3 days for the next flight, approx 3 flights per week. Whereas from Athens/Piraeus there are several daily flights/ferries to Santorini.

Santorini airport - taverna almost opposite used as a 'waiting room' view of the sea, cooling breeze, cool drink - darn sight more pleasant than any crowded large international airport like Athens/Gatwick./Heathrow etc.

Edited: 06 December 2009, 01:17
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flights into Santorini

Brotherleelove, you fly from the west coast to Santorini. Tell us what you feel is the best way to do it. :o)

Cape COd
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights into Santorini

Sorry to jump in here, I'm curious about timing the flights.

If we are scheduled to arrive in Athens at 9:15 a.m. is it feasible to book an 11:00 flight to Santorini on Aegean? We will be traveling at the end of June. What are the logistics like to get luggage from the US flight and then try to catch the flight to Santorini?