We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding those Low Air Fares

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Finding those Low Air Fares

I check every now and then but are there any tips that i need to know? I know some find great deals, most of which only last a short time, from some less known wed sites but what's the pros and cons with these deals? What I'm worried about is weither it's better to pay a little more and to go thru the airlines as I've heard that those web agents tend to have their tickets yanked before their own issued tickets, is this true???

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

Best way is to subscribe to newsletters of both Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air if domestic or international fares on these two companies are what you are after. This way you 'll have the info on when these offers are available by the official sites.

I never buy airplane tickets from a site other than the official site but that's may be me :) I am pretty sure that large booking sites are reliable. I just prefer to deal with the airline directly in case of nay change. Moreover i rarely have found an airplane ticket in lower price than the airline's site.

Edited: 25 December 2009, 08:25
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

Regarding international transatlantic flights and especially multiple connections i use this tool: http://www.sidestep.com/buzz to locate the recent offers or the best prices.

For example, if you use on this tool, "Athens, Greece", "America" and "May 2010" you 'll see that someone, somewhere purchased a NYC<->Athens round trip airfare on USAirways for $702. These findings are "purchased by other" so it doesen't mean that by the time you find it it is also available. Still, this is a valuable tool tofind which range a specific fare is moving at the time :)

Edited: 25 December 2009, 08:30
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

Thanks, i use airline consoladators but for some reason they mainly just listed British Air, that's odd! Olympic seems to think that they find folks from NYC that will fork over $1700 rt, LOLs! I've seen US Air, flew on them last yr, best price by far and a direct flight, older plane though. Some feel that things in the US will get much worse early next year, 800 billion more to bail out Fannie-Freddie home loans, and I think airfares will drop a good deal. The only worry is the time frame for those connecting flights, wait too long and your paying more or unable to get your flight you prefer.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

I've been using some of the various internet airfare consolidators for several years, and so far so good. Using a credit card for the purchase takes away a lot of the worry. For international flights, once you make a purchase you can contact the airlines involved to confirm that you're on the passenger list and that your ticket has been paid for. Sometimes it takes a few days. If it takes longer than that contact the consolidator. The consolidator will provide you with a reservation code or ticket number for reference. Other than the established ones, Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity, you can go a google search for "airfare consolidators" and there will be plenty to choose from.

Nick's advice abot signing up for the Aegean and Olympic newsletters is right on when it comes for purchasing domestic tickets for use in Greece. You'll receive emails about 2 months before the designated travel dates the block of tickets they're offering are good for. The lowest saver fares between Athens and the islands has been around €39, all taxes included, and €24 for the return to Athens.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

I've got those BrotherleeLove, thanks anyway. I just looked at US Airways, Cont. and they both are well over $1200 for the last weeks of May and the first week of June. I'm sure come the next two or three weeks they will drop. I can always book a discount connecting flight to the islands and then worry about the main flight, getting there W/O hassels makes for a much better trip, even if it runs a few hunfred more.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

Oh, thanks guys, BTW, who else flys direct from the NYC area?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

$990, British Air, late May early June. I'll wait and see what happens.

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

HI BLL and others- Olympic airlines website is still under maintenance". How soon do you suppose they will be up and running so I can sign up for their email specials? Also, what about Athens Airways? I'm hoping to fly, one way, Athens to Santorini on May 18 (all the way from Seattle, Wa.).

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

Olympic Airlines does not exist any more. It has been shut down months ago after years of bad ratings and is under liquidation.

Olympic Air, a private company, runs most of their old routes and, for the time being, they are punctual and offering very good service. Their site is:

http://www.olympicair.com/Home.aspx?a_id=549

Edited: 25 December 2009, 14:25
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding those Low Air Fares

Hey INXS2..and Merry Christmas:-) Other than Olympic (once it gets its act together ~ they're presently in cahoots w/Delta ~ IMO, avoid!)..you've got Continental out of EWR..and as you know, USAir out of Philly..that's it for the directs! I oftentimes travel in May and find the best time for deals is around Feb (for the most part!)..hit the consolidators first then head directly to the airline's direct site and compare..I usually find working directly w/the carrier best as well! There are some good connections to Athens via Europe to include Swiss via either Geneva or Zurich..BA has got some good connections although I've used them only once..Alitalia is notorious for loosing luggage but in my numerous experiences..so far, so good! This is the 'fun' time IMO..play around w/the sites and start checking out the deals ~ or not;-) By Jan/Feb, deals are usually available..and depending on how the bookings go for them, they either lower..or raise the prices come March/April! Last year Delta had an amazing offer come around March I think it was..r/t out of JFK to Athens for something under $500..appeared they were having negative results through the Winter w/higher rates and filled up those planes in no time w/those deals! Also bear in mind some consolidators are in cahoots with only some of the carriers..and one consolidator will carry a deal w/a carrier another one doesn't even include..hence your BA findings;-) Keep us posted on your findings..and a Happy 2010 w/great travels...always enjoy!