We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

Boston, MA
3 posts
Save Topic
Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be in the Greek islands for 8 nights in June, and would like to split our time between 2 islands, one being Santorini. I've heard amazing things about Cephalonia too, but its pretty far from Santorini. Are there ferries that could get us there from Santorini, or would we need to fly? I'm not sure that 8 nights/9 days would be enough time to travel between the two since there's quite distance between them. Thoughts?

Thanks!

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

I don't think you'd have enough time - you'd need to go via Athens. There are a lot of islands closer to Santorini, I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations for other TA members.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

The only way to get there by ferry from Santorini would be to take a ferry back to Athens, then a bus to Patras to catch another ferry the rest of the way to Kefalonia. This would eat up at least a full 24 hours of your precious time. You can fly from Santorini to Kefalonia with a stopover in Athens, there's nothing direct or non-stop.

You're better off choosing another island close by to Santorini, such as Ios, Paros, Naxos, Sikinos, Anafi, Amorgos or Folegandros.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

No point at all in going to Kefalonia in your rather short time. From Santorini it is 2 flights or 2 ferries and a bus journey away.

Much easier to put in another of the Cyclades islands which may be only 2-3 hours away by ferry.

Kefalonia's apparent popularity is because it's a package tourist destination with direct flights from several UK airports.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

Oh, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to mix with riff-raff who go on package holidays if what RH says is correct eh? ;-)

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

Nowhere in Greece is more than one hour by air from Athens, so theoretically it's possible to combine Santorini and Kefalonia, but would you really want to?

Perhaps you've read the book or seen the film 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin'. In the last two years there has been similar interest in Skopelos from the film 'Mamma Mia', but neither are a practical combination with Santorini.

Edited: 12 January 2010, 20:56
uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

Kefalonia's far from being the only island popular with UK package holiday companies, but that's not the reason for not combining it with Santorini. It's the travelling time, is all. Better to look at another island in the Cyclades and spend the time you save on the beach or in a taverna.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
534 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

Boston:

I would suggest with your abbreviated time that you choose 2 close together like Santorini and Crete.

That way you could get a 'flavor' of each and with the advantage of the flying cat from Santorini-travel time maximized.

These 2 proximate locations are enough different that in your short stay you could experience 2 completely different layers of Greek civilization.

You can buy Flying Cat tickets in Fira while spending the day there museum hopping.

enjoy your short stay-you iwll come back!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

Why is it that certain people here regard package tourists as "second class citizens" or that a specific island is only on the agenda because it appeals to package tourists?

As I've said before, do package visitors have less appreciation of what they're seeing, do they view an island, or an ancient site, or a wonderful church or museum through different eyes merely because they've had a travel agent organise a return flght and accommodation for them?

What a load of pompous twaddle, it's horses for courses and long may it remain that way.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
534 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

Rh I might mention the poster was from Boston , USA. The US does not have the bargain package tours you mention in your posts(to Greece) available to them like the UK. In point of fact they were asking about the possibility of two locations obviously not realizing the travel burdens of getting from location to location.

I think it would be more helpful to guide travelers to make better choices like suggesting they could go to two islands within the same group, close connected by easy transport.

10. Re: Can you easily travel between Santorini and Cephalonia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 06:16