We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget accommodation in Santorini

South Africa
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
budget accommodation in Santorini

Hi I am travelling to Santorini in early May (6 May) please can you suggest budget accommodation for 1 solo female traveller. Would like to stay in Santorini for 5 nights. Or suggest website to find reasonable budget accommodation.

Many thanks and hope to hear from the travellers.

Ashley

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Hi Ashley,

If you're willing to stay at a hostel, try the Youth Hostel Oia (http://www.santorinihostel.gr/about.php). I was there last there on my own, really enjoyed the location - and the price. The rooms were clean and tidy with its own toilet and shower but with no locker in the actual room. Just have a padlock for your bag. Having said that, I put things I wasn't using that day under my bed and they were all there that night.

Others will probably 'jump in' with ideas for hotels - but they won't be as cheap as this.

Reminder to me - book my place at the hostel for later in the year!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Depends what you mean by budget, I assume you mean something like <30€ per night in which case the traditional place to stay is the resort of Perissa and you should find something there easily for that sort of price.

In Fira town the east side of town below the main square is a hunting ground for such accommodation. Loads of small hotels/rooms for rent.

You won't find much on websites, most cheaper places won't be on there and the prices quoted much higher than the walkin price.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Ashley, there are several streets in Fira lined with Pensions that will get you a single room at 30€ I'll bet, in early may on a wallk-up basis, mostly used by young people who' d rather save their money for having fun, who want a nice clean cheerful room but don't intend to spend their sunset or evening time in the room! To help you locate, here is a town "Skymap"of Fira Town

www.skymap.gr/map.asp…

Find "Theotokopoulou Square" the main square of town (really just a wide spot in the main road!) ... then go to the RIGHT, where there is a parallel road (it looks like a long way but is only 100 yards or less, from the square). ... find the Blue square sign "Andreas Pension". THat little lane, and the one to its right, are both lines with Pensions. also, on that parallel road, which is pleasant and shaded with huge trees. area is quiet at night no big clubs next door.

SOme of the names: Summertime, Pension Petros, ANtonia, Villa Rose, Villa Soula, San Giorgio. Here is a website that shows details of many of these/ almost all rooms have balcony or patio. www.skymap.gr/map.asp…

Some on the website give rates, but in early May they'lll be half empty so don't book ahead. Just walk up and say "I'm looking for a single at 25€ do you have anything?" If they say no, start to walk away, most times they'll call after you. LOOK at a room before you take it. TIP: I've stayed ata Pension Petros & Summertime, they are 100 metres from square, so don't look at ones that list a longer distance. FINAL TIP, on that parallel street, just as you turn to Pension Row, is a DYNAMITE fruit stand/grocery/bakery with boundless good cheap stuff for breakfasts & picnics!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Uhm, not knowing where your budget range is I would say you may want to consider hotels with buffet breakfests. i've stayed at two in kamiri, check my reviews, and can say that if you factor in location, waterfront, a great breakfest, and maybe only paying 10-15 euros more it may be worth it? Also check do a search of "Solo travelers" here and or look it up on my posts, i think your like the tips and info.! Enjoy!

South Africa
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Hi thank you for this. Great tips. Could you tell me what beach is the best - Fira, Oia, or Perissa Beach. I am wanting to spend some time on the beaches and swimming.

thank you

Ashley

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Oia does not have a beach, only large rocks and a man-made platform at the end of the seawall that begins on the wharf at Amoudi Bay below. It's actually the best swimming on the island.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,975 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Fira does not have a beach either since it is perched about 1000 feet above the caldera on a cliff top.

Perissa does have a beach although it is small gritty pebbles. One probably does not go to Santorini for good beaching.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Fira/Oia have no beaches they are cliff top villages, The cliffs are formed by a slumping Caldera so deep water, no beaches.

Perissa is a beach resort though it's black pebbles/sand/grit. All beaches on Santorini have that theme. Kamari beach is very similar resort and beach though it's slightly pricier.

You can reach Fira and Oia cheaply using the islands' buses, so no particular disadvantage to stay in either of those beach resorts, and indeed I find them much more pleasant and far less crowded.

South Africa
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

hi thank u so much. I appreciate all the wonderful tips you have given me. They are really helpful. Could you tell me what is better, Oia or Perissa or Fira. I am not really into clubbing, but do love the beach life and taverns. Would you know if the hostel in Oia is suitable?

I look forward to hearing from you again with your wonderful advice.

Thanks

Ashley

UK
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: budget accommodation in Santorini

Hi Ashley - We preferred Kamari as at night most of the bars,shops and restaurants are along the beach front, it really is a wonderful island.

Get answers to your questions about Santorini