We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

Hi all,

Advice I've received on these forums in the past has resulted in some of my most memorable holidays to date, so I'm hoping someone out there might have some suggestions for an upcoming trip to Santorini.

Our group of six is headed to Santorini on the 30th August for four nights. We are all professionals in our late 20s (majority are journalists/in the media, but there's an engineer thrown in for good measure). We are all Australian, but I'm currently based in London.

It will be the first time in the Greek Islands for all of us, so we're a little unaware of the best areas to look for accommodation.

We are made up of three couples, so double beds and separate bedrooms are preferable but we can live with a couple of singles in one room or a sofa bed in the living area if necessary.

We have a couple of avid cooks in among us, so we'd like to get a self-catering apartment/villa (with a proper kitchen, not a kitchenette) so we can make the most of the local produce, and also keep down the cost a little bit by having breakfast at home. It would also be great to be able to walk to the main attractions (although this is not vital) and an outdoor area/verandah and view would be ideal.

I'm not sure what we should be aiming for budget wise - we're aware the Greek Islands aren't cheap - even in shoulder season. So in that instance, I'd be interested to know what you think we'd need to spend.

We're hoping to find something around the €300-€400 per night (for the entire house, not per person!) but could probably go to €450 or even more per night for something extra special.

If you have any ideas, I'd be very, very grateful.

And if there's anything I've forgotten, please give a gentle nudge!

All the best,

Jess

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

Look in TA for vacations Rentals oia-imerovigli-firostefani

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

The only 3-bedroom villa with full kitchen I'm aware of in that price range is Villa Agis at Ifestio Villas in Oia. The rate for 6 people in August will be €350/night. I hope it's available on your travel dates.

Edited: 16 March 2010, 15:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

This is great advice so far - thanks very much. I have sent emails to the owners of four villas I found in the TA Vacation Rentals section, and also emailed Villa Agis about availability.

Thanks so much for the prompt replies.

Please keep them coming if anyone else knows of anywhere!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

I received a very prompt response from the owner of Swinging Sunset Villa, and they have availability at this time which works out at about €50 per person per night (seems like good value?)

Marcos was VERY helpful and gave me all the information I needed.

Has anyone stayed here (there are only three reviews on TA)?

http://www.SwingingSunsetVilla.com

Can any locals please advise if this is well located?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

Hi there,

From what I can see, its located on the outskirts of Oia - above the road leading down to Ammoudi Harbor (BLL, correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure its still walkable to Oia but not quite in the village itself. This would give it more privacy than Oia itself. You wouldn't have a caldera view but probably a sunset one - going by the name.

Haven't stayed there, but doesn't seem a bad option.

Sydney
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

Have stayed at this place a couple of nights with friends and found it just amazing.

Check it out . http://www.windmill.gr/

Have fun

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

This is the first I've seen of this one. I wouldn't classify it as "well-located" unless you don't mind uphill walks into the village, or unless you have a car or motorbike at your disposal. At the end of the village there is a road that leads down to Amoudi Bay. Swinging Sunset Villas (I hate that name!) is halfway down that road, meaning it's isolated. There are no convenient shops or restaurants close by. In fact, from the Google Earth skycam it appears as if nothing is nearby. This is great for seclusion if that's what you want, but if you're up in the village enjoying yourselves and don't have a car you might not like the walk back to your room. And if you're at the villa and it's time to go out to explore the village you'll not enjoy the uphill walk in the August heat, I guarantee it. On the plus side the price is good and you have an unobstructed sunset view. But you won't have a view of the caldera. It's also likely that any traffic coming from or going to Amoudi Bay will be passing right by in between you and the view. I say keep looking, when for €50 more you can find something more convenient and with a better location such as Ifestio.

Edited: 16 March 2010, 17:37
perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

I agree with BLL , the villa isnot on caldera and is out of oia village. with this price range you can to find place in oia on caldera

ISRAEL BEAROTAYM...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

why to pay so much?

you can take hotel near the sea in the north of kamari in the east side of the airport for 50-60 euro each room , with small salg catering place in evryroom

out of the room's you have swimming pool and 100m you have the sea and one of the most best resturant in santorini

and then you can rent a car and enjoy this wonderfull island

reshef jacob

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self-catering villa for 3 couples 31/8 - 3/9 - recs pls!

JR13,

Yes, maybe they could pay less and stay at Kamari, but perhaps this is a 'trip of a lifetime' - even though some of them are currently based in London, they're originally Australian and this might be the only opportunity they have to experience a caldera view/Cycladic architecture/ the whole works. Obviously, if they find something cheaper, then that's great, but price isn't always the determining factor - other options come into play as well.