We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

My partner and I are looking to getting married in Santorini so are travelling there in May this year to have a look at the island. However we are unsure where to stay on a fairly small budget (about £700 in total) for a week. Is Kamari a safe bet or is Perissa better. We've had a look at the veggera hotel in perissa but have heard some of the rooms are below ground level? Does anyone have any info about this hotel (have read reviews)? Are there any recommended hotels that people can let me know about in the area?

Many thaks

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

dear

vegera hotel has very good location, exacly on the beach. has very nice reception area and restaurant. and I read some bad reviews for the rooms.

santorini is famous for the smaull propertys with really ''philoxenia'' and personal services from the owners.

vegera and santomiramare resort is two of the bigest hotels in perissa.

personal I propose you to stay there and sent e-mail to hotel manager with request the best room, in your bunget.

Thanks

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

I don't know much about Kamari, but I've been going to Perissa since 1999.

I've stayed at both the Smaragdi and the Gardenia hotels and can recommend either of them. The Gardenia is probably the cheaper of the two, just a minute or so from the main street and the same distance from the beach and associated bars, restaurants etc.

The Smaragdi is further along the beach, towards the Perivolos part of the resort.

Of the hotels that Fotinos has mentioned the Philoxenia is very nice, well located, just off the main street, but quiet. It's a small family run hotel with good amenties. Some friends of mine stayed there last year and would now not consider going anywhere else.

The Veggera is on the busy main beach road. It looks very nice from the outside although I've not been in it myself. Location wise pretty much everything is on the doorstep.

The Santomiramare is fairly new, large and at the Perivolos end of the resort. I've heard some comments about it being too far away from the main village for easy walking etc although there are some bars and restaurants at that end of the beach so it's not badly isolated.

Other hotels that regularly get good reviews are the Meltemi Village, Kouros Village. Samsons Village, Blue Perissa Bay, all of which are well located for easy access to Perissa and its amenities.

Martin

Mentioned in this post
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Smaragdi Hotel
Smaragdi Hotel
795 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Perivolos
Perivolos
Santorini, Greece
Veggera Hotel
Veggera Hotel
534 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Meltemi Village
Meltemi Village
545 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Samson's Village
Samson's Village
264 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Perissa Bay
Perissa Bay
192 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

I've stayed in both resorts and basically there is nothing in it. They are very similar in size facilities, restaurants, bars etc, and indeed the beach is similar as well though Perissa beach tends be slimey rocks in the water, so I prefer Kamari beach. But I swim in the sea so that may not be a factor. Just that guides don't tell such stuff.

I'm more a find room on arrival person so don't know which are the packaged hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Perissa Beach
Perissa Beach
4,685 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Kamari Beach
Kamari Beach
5,130 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

Kamari is a very nice resort with a long pedestrian zone along the beach. There are several good hotels, bars and restaurants at reasonable prices. I've spent several weeks in the last 10 summers in Kamari and I loved it.

You can get a very decent double room with breakfast in the main season for 40-50 EUR /night. I've just booked a room at Horizon/Castro for 50 EUR/night.

Kamari is less than 5 kilometers away from the airport. Ancient Thera above Kamari is a must-see. There are frequent cheap and comfortable buses that connect Kamari and Fira (about 1,5 EUR, 15 minutes).

Be careful not to book a room in Aghia Paraskevi - I've been tricked once in the port by the owner of Louis appartments. The hotels are OK, but the place is in the middle of nowhere.

Edited: 08 April 2010, 20:41
Mentioned in this post
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Ancient Thera
Ancient Thera
1,882 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
SANTORINI
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

Hello from santorini. First of all i tell you that you made the best desicion for your marriage. I live here and got married prevouw summer. Perissa and Kamari is about the same just i n Perissa the beach is better and longer. In Kamari i think is better for a couple. I would suggest you if you can to search in Fira to live and make the preparasion for the wedding (church if you want, flowers, mayor, restaurant ...) more easy. Best place to stay is Oia , Imerovigli, firostefani but more expensive. Enjoy your moments here iw perfect!

Mentioned in this post
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Imerovigli
Imerovigli
Santorini, Greece
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

Hi TwoTravellers

Personally I love Kamari. Great resteraunts, great bars and 2 clubs (not English style) more laid back but a place to go for a good dance.

Its a busy resort but it'll be nice in May.

Other people prefer Perissa. Deciding between the two if you havent been before will be difucult. If you like the hotel and it has good reviews I suggest you go for the hotel regaredless of resort. You can visit either resort anytime you like as it doesnt take long to get anywhere on Santorini.

Have a great time

Mentioned in this post
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

There's also a little boat that runs several times a day between the two resorts, much quicker than the bus as you have to get to Fira first and change to another bus.

Martin

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

Yeah, the water taxi is great! I love that little boat!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

Did the water taxi captain have his dog on the boat when you took it? He did for mine. The dog seemed totally at home and loved being on the water - choppy though it was. Good thing I don't get sea sick.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help where to stay. Kamari or Perissa?

Yeah I remember a dog!

Last time in June it was rather choppy, I nearly lost one of my shoes! Its fantastic when its calm though. I love dangling my legs over the side and having the sea lap onto them. Ahhhh to be in Santorini

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece