We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Advice needed: Santorini -> Cyprus (1 way)

NYC
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Advice needed: Santorini -> Cyprus (1 way)

Subject line pretty much says it all. Exploring all options, pros & cons.

It seems three commercial airlines fly from Santorini -> Athens -> Cyprus, but the costs are likely to be significant, and not sure how long the layover will be in Athens. Wouldn't mind "taking the scenic route" if there was a ferry from Santorini to Cyprus (perhaps through Mykonos?) but all I can find seems to be Santorini - Athens as well.

Am I missing a preferred route of travel between Santorini & Cyprus?

(Bonus question - is the "best" way to travel *to* Santorini from Amalfi Coast flying from Naples to Santorini, via Athens? I define best as combination of price vs. total travel time/convenience)

Thanks in advance,

-H

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Advice needed: Santorini -> Cyprus (1 way)

According to www.cruisecyprus.com/ferry_limassol_piraeus there are no ferry services whatsoever between Cyprus and the Greece mainland / islands planned for 2010. So flying to Cyprus via Athens is your only option.

2nd question: There are no direct flights from Naples to Santorini. You would need to go to Rome: both Aegean & Olympic Airlines allow tou to book a Rome - Santorini ticket. You will have to change planes in Athens though. However your bags should be tagged all the way through and all you would need to do is clear Immigration and pick up your Athens-Santorini boarding passes.

Pricing & scheduling will depend on what time of the year you are travelling - you havent mentioned it in your post.

Hope this helps!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Advice needed: Santorini -> Cyprus (1 way)

I'm pretty sure there's flights from Naples to Athens with Alitalia if I'm not mistaken. Cyprus Airways also has flights to Cyprus from Heraklion (with a stop in Rhodes) and from Thessaloniki, in addition to flights from Athens. Heraklion would be especially easy to reach from Santorini, as an alternative to returning to Athens, though I'm not sure it's necessarily more convenient...all depends on your schedule.

Edited: 14 April 2010, 05:09
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Advice needed: Santorini -> Cyprus (1 way)

After Santorini you can take the ferry south to Crete and hop on a plane there to Cyprus on Cyprus Airlines. cyprusair.com/default.aspx?tabid=843&langid=2

They also fly Rhodes>Cyprus.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Advice needed: Santorini -> Cyprus (1 way)

BrotherLee, isn't there a small airline that flys between Santorini and Herk???

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Advice needed: Santorini -> Cyprus (1 way)

In the past that would have been Sky Express but so far they're not showing that flight being available this year.

6. Re: Travel Advice needed: Santorini -> Cyprus (1 way)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 07:17