We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review

Well I wasn't going to do one but what the heck maybe someone will find it interesting. LOLs I started in mid May with two nights staying at Ation Bay in Kamari. It was nice to be back with only being away 9 months rather then a yr, think I'll keep the twice yearly trips from now on. Well I only really had one full day and I used it to hike over to Pressia and back via the cave trail. I noticed about 5 pices of pottery near the top of the mountain, a first. On the third day I took the ferry to Ios and stayed there for three nights. I stayed at the Galini Pension in Yialos which is only a 5 min walk from the port. I used my three days to walk and hike, a few 3-4 miles hikes. The island has a lot to see in terms of different landscapes. I found Ios to be very likeable and quite beautiful. I liked the ancient ruins that they say date back 6K yrs. Not many buildings but you can see how the land was leveled and stepped for farming. Well I was getting home sick for Santorini and I friend was going to be arriving so I headed back via the Flying Cat. I now know why they call them Flying Cats! LOLs I heard the ride two days before was worse but I found myself focusing on the horizion to keep from getting sea sick, this trick works. Seems alot of the passengers didn't know of this trick and were hanging off the back of the boat for most of the trip. Well when back on Santorini I quickly got back to Kamari and started another 10 days of hiking, running, and exploring. New hikes were the beach north of the airport, Monlothis?, and a trip to and past the village of Akrotiri. The views from that side of the Volcano were very nice, esp. since I was at Ioa the day before. Seeing the two views one after the other really lets you notice the scale of the caldera. Oh as always Ilias, the bartender at Arion Bay, made it a point for me to meet some new friends. This time I met a couple from Seatle Washington who decided to stay at Arion, there first time to Santorini. Funny thing was that they were only going to stay two nights, then it was five, when I left it was seven, LOLs I wonder if they are still there! They really liked how Ilias, as one guest put it, "can make a party out of an empty room". As we say "You can check out any time you like but you can nver leave". The last I recall, LOLs of my last night was doing some shots of 18 yr old Scotch with Ilias! LOLs Somehow I made it on the 7 am flight the next morning, mostly sleeping, and notice when I got up to leave the plane that Sprios, owner of the boat house, was three seats over from me, small world. I just laughted, said hi and said I was running on about two hrs sleep too which he said he got a half hr. LOLs I quickly woke up, with a good laught! As always it was a pleasent stay, aside from Ilias's Scotch! I think I ran, jogged, and explored well over 70 miles in my 15 days. Nice way to see the island!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review

Hi INXS2,

and thanks for your report.

Just a short line of suggestion: Please write divide your reports in partitions to make them easier to read..... :-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review

Thanks, your right. i wasn't going to post them i said let me do a short one and it dragged on, I rambled, LOLs. My grammer isn't that good, esp. when half awake working the night shift! I should delete it and do it over but then it wouldn't get redone.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review

I really enjoyed reading your trip report so thank you for taking the time to post.

I was surprised when we stayed on Ios as I wasn't sure I'd like it due to it's reputation as a 'party island' as we're definitely not party animals lol, but we both loved it. It's probably different in July/August but we always avoid high season and we'll definitely go back again - one day.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review

Thanks for your report INXS2.

I am interested in doing the 'cave trail' you mentioned between Kamari and Perissa. Is that the mountain route which takes you up to Ancient Thera and then drops you back down along the windy road?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review

Hey again INXS2:-) Great report..loved the part where 'you can check in, but....' lol;-)) Enjoyed!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review

It starts at the walkway right at the upper side of the Agean View Hotel, Kamari side, then quickly turns into a trail. its steep but it's really worth it, oh bring a flashlight to see the cave better. I'm sure people have been using that trail for thousands of yrs, amazing!

7. Re: Trip Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2010, 06:21