We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caldera Confusion

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
86 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Caldera Confusion

Hello! Is there a law about having swimming pools on the caldera side of Oia? I've been looking for a hotel with a pool, and in my research I came across this claim. If it's true, where are the Oia hotels that do have pools? I'm specifically looking at Filotera Villas, Atrina Traditional Houses, and Esperas Traditional Houses.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caldera Confusion

There is some sort of law on the books but it has not been enforced very stringently. There are lots of hotels with pools of various sizes in Oia.

Filotera Villas, Atrina Traditional Houses, and Esperas Traditional Houses all have caldera views and all have pools.

Also check Ikies Houses, Perivolas Villas, Nikos Villas, Olympic Villas, Strogili Houses, Rimida Villas, Kirini, Katikies Hotel and Katikies Villas, Mystique, Nostos Apartments, Kima Villas, La Perla Villas, Canaves Oia, Mystique, Andronis Suites, Alta Mare, Armeni Village, Lampetia Villas, Lauda Hotel, Caldera Villas and Oia Mare Hotel.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,878 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caldera Confusion

we stayed at esperas house and LOVED it. the views the rooms..so romantic and the pool on the side of the cliff..wonderful

Edited: 25 June 2010, 22:30
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caldera Confusion

<<Is there a law about having swimming pools on the caldera side of Oia? >>

I dont know, though the Greeks are somewhat like the Italians in respect of the difference between having laws, and taking any notice of them.

What is the law? is that you cannot have a pool, or you must have one, or it must be a certain size, or ????

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Caldera Confusion

In all the length caldera is prohibited the manufacture of swimming-pool, Is dangerous for the cliff and because island does not allocate water.

Also is not comprehended traditional settlement with swimming-pools.

I believe that the visitor should come in the island ,in order to knows his particular architectural characteristics, and no the island be adapted in the requirements each visitor, that he wants swimming-pool in the balcony and simultaneously traditionally white houses.

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caldera Confusion

<<In all the length caldera is prohibited the manufacture of swimming-pool, Is dangerous for the cliff and because island does not allocate water.>>

OK thanks Fotinos. You've got to laugh, as I said, "the Greeks are somewhat like the Italians in respect of the difference between having laws, and taking any notice of them." :-)

If this was the UK if you had a paddling pool on your caldera patio someone would be along in 5 minutes to fine you.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
86 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caldera Confusion

Thanks for the clarification and all of the hotel recommendations! I have a lot of researching to do this weekend...

Santorini
Level Contributor
332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Caldera Confusion

There is a loophole in this law.

Technically, in the papers admitted for planning permission to the local government or mayors office, the hotel states that it needs permission to build a well so as to supply the hotel with water or to have as a reserve.

The government approves the planning permission for a well and then the hotelier builds a pool instead.

BUT they will not be penalised because they can argue that the pool is actually a "well", because they dont have to specify the dimensions of the resserve water tank/well they are building.

Its all about perception people! :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caldera Confusion

LOL. Its Greece, what can you say :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caldera Confusion

It's called respect for the interpretation of the law.

nz
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Caldera Confusion

Hi there

do you think it is a good idea to book my greek ferry tickets in NZ? I will probably get them from an online website and I have seen many, is there a website that people prefer to use to purchase the tickets? I did look on greeka.com and a couple of overs but if you or anyone could suggest a particular safe website that would be great. I will be there in August and Im not sure if I should just get them in greece.

Oh and one more question, people say that at the ports ie Mykonos there are people offering accomdation, is this a safe way for me to do or should I also prebook , I have done so for Santorini but I cant find anything nice in Mykono on my budget which is about $150 NZ btw Im not into hostels

or backpackers, Im travelling on my own and like my privacy plsu I did all the backpacking in my 20"s :)