We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busses, Beaches, etc.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Busses, Beaches, etc.

Hi again----I have a few questions. My husband and I will be staying in Oia for 11 nights mid-late September. We are really looking forward to this as a totally relaxing and peaceful sort of second honeymoon. I have been reading so many posts in the forum, and appreciate all the info! Having said that....I still have a few questions:

1. We do plan to rent a car for at least a couple of days to explore the island at our pace. But we also will want to use the busses---will they take us from Oia to the beaches at the far end of the island? And, will they take us to/from Fira if we decide to go out for some "bigger" nightlife" If there is a link to a bus schedule, I would appreciate it!

2. We would appreciate any thoughts on the more secluded beaches....I have found a lot of info on other sites, but some first-hand reviews would be great.

3. Where might we find good snorkeling? We are thinking we would buy gear on-island rather than lugging it in our bags.....is there such a thing as buying inexpensive snorkeling gear in a shop there?

4. Cover-ups for going to the beach/pool lounge in Oia-----I have some beautiful light cover-ups I have bought over the years in St. Barts---but don't know if is acceptable to wear them heading to the beach in Santorini ie: on the bus.....Nothing too revealing, but less than a typical sundress.

Thanks!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

As far as the busses go, you can get from Oia to the beaches in Kamari and Perissa via Fira, the main transport hub on the island.

Here is alink to the KTEL site with timetables etc. They MAY reduce the number of services towards the end of the season as demand drops, but you should be able to get the most up to date timetable from your hotel.

http://www.ktel-santorini.gr/

Martin

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

You might use the days you have a car to explore the other beaches -- the ones not served via bus.

The one thing I will tell you about the bus from Perissa ....

Perhaps this was a fluke occurrence but the bus did not arrive to take us back to Fira when we were there -- although it was late in the season (October). And as bigsnitch said, service might dwindle a bit in the late season. However, I was amused by a message scrawled into a bus stop outside Perissa that read: "Do not wait for this bus. It will NEVER come."

We ended up walking a bit down the road to a phone to call a taxi. Not a big deal. But maybe bigsnitch could shed some light on the situation.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

I also experienced the Santorini rogue bus earlier in the month. Was wanting the 11.30 a.m. from Perissa to Pyrgos to transfer hotels. Walking back to the hotel before heading to the bus stop at 11.17 a.m. and the bus went past me. Good, I thought, give a few minutes at its destination, turn around and I'll make the 11.30. Lo and behold, it tootles past me on its way back to Fira at 11.23! So much for waiting until the correct departure time. Anyway, got my bags and started to wait at Dorian's Bar with an iced drink. Then, at 11.45 a.m., another goes past - so I got that one on its way back. It wasn't due for an hour!

Next day, wanting to go from Pyrgos to Fira, I waited for over an hour and nothing came. Maybe it thought I'd had all my luck the previous day!

Having said that, all my other buses came/went on time.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

Well, I know it's a bit of a cliche, but they do say that the buses on Santorini are set to GMT - Greek Maybe Time.

So far I've been lucky and not had the same happen to me ie bus not turning up at all, stopping etc.

Martin

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

haha. Hadn't heard that one about GMT. Anyway, I should add all other buses treated us well.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

Thanks for the website link---and thanks for the heads up on the "schedules"! I'm thinking we may need a car for more than a couple days, and that's fine. Any ideas or comments on secluded beaches and/or snorkeling?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

Depends on how 'deserted' you want. I took a run/walk from Perissa to Perivolas, Exomitis and Vylchada one day. Once you're past the Perivolas heading to the Exomitis area it gets very sparse (I was there about 9.00 a.m., mind you). No tavernas, shops behind you and the beach to yourself. There was no footpath, all sand to the cape. You would need a car unless you're staying in Perissa/Perivolas. No idea if there's anything to see with regards to snorkling though (I only paddled).

Had to laugh at the 'nudism is forbidden' sign placed in the area though. Must find the photo I took of that!

http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

isnot nesesary to go far from oia for beaches. 10 min walk from oia , on the road to amoudi bay rightside is the ''katharos beach'', also you can to swimm in amoudi bay(left side).

near to oia is to ''baxedes beach'' , seclude beach.

now for snorkeling the place is ''baxedes-koloumbos'' , special leftside of coloumbos , but for safety reason dont go alone -and early morning 0800am take the boat amoudi-thirassia in thirasia has a beach in ''riva'', also walk 10min the road riva-potamos right side and go there for snorkeling, for more info and directions ask a person in riva.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

<<Where might we find good snorkeling? >>

Please do report back, I'd be very sceptical that Baxedes or anywhere near it would be good, its on the exposed eastern shore subject to wave action, and would therefore not typically be a good place for snorkeling, or fish as the wave action stirs up the bottom and makes visibility poor. To be fair I've only been there a couple of times and not even bothered going in as each time the wave action had deposited a lot of junk on the beach, but it looks like numerous other exposed beaches to me from a snorkelling POV, eg a waste of time.

Best I have found, which wasn't that good, was if you swim between the beach at Kamari and the two large piles of rock out to sea (breakwaters maybe, I'm not sure) you'll see a few fish, water is exceptionally clear, but its certainly not worth buying gear for, I would just put your own mask in your bags and maybe see if you can rent fins at one of the dive shops in Kamari. I haven't snorkeled at Amoudi but from an above water POV it looks the most promising, sheltered, rocky, clear water. Dont expect the Caribbean though.

Edited: 08 July 2010, 22:52
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

There were a few tiny fish at Perissa beach - at the very far left as far as you can go by the concrete wharf section. As Joe says, also a few little ones at Ammoudi.