We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busses, Beaches, etc.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Busses, Beaches, etc.

Hi again----I have a few questions. My husband and I will be staying in Oia for 11 nights mid-late September. We are really looking forward to this as a totally relaxing and peaceful sort of second honeymoon. I have been reading so many posts in the forum, and appreciate all the info! Having said that....I still have a few questions:

1. We do plan to rent a car for at least a couple of days to explore the island at our pace. But we also will want to use the busses---will they take us from Oia to the beaches at the far end of the island? And, will they take us to/from Fira if we decide to go out for some "bigger" nightlife" If there is a link to a bus schedule, I would appreciate it!

2. We would appreciate any thoughts on the more secluded beaches....I have found a lot of info on other sites, but some first-hand reviews would be great.

3. Where might we find good snorkeling? We are thinking we would buy gear on-island rather than lugging it in our bags.....is there such a thing as buying inexpensive snorkeling gear in a shop there?

4. Cover-ups for going to the beach/pool lounge in Oia-----I have some beautiful light cover-ups I have bought over the years in St. Barts---but don't know if is acceptable to wear them heading to the beach in Santorini ie: on the bus.....Nothing too revealing, but less than a typical sundress.

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

Thanks for all the information! We will report back if we find any snorkeling worth mentioning :-)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

Be sure to go to your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required.

I hope you won't be disappointed with the snorkeling. There's not much to see other than algae-covered rocks and some sea grasses.

Here's a good map of the island: http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

Yes---I have the AAA document in hand, ready to take over to the local office. And thanks for that map---I had found it a few days ago, and saved it in my files....

I don't think snorkeling will make or break the trip! Was just a thought, and who knows---maybe a lovely little fish will be there just for us ;-)

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

Having visited several times for several days in September, every other year, I have snorkeled there. As an advanced open water diver, little here compares to other coral reef locals. The Oia -Amoudi beach area ( rocks really) out to the island and church, might interest you. It's deep here, and very clear. Everything bought here may be twice the price and one half the quality in diving equipement. Bring what you need, as you will carry it home anyway.

On the bus issue: If you traveled to FWI St. Barth$$$$$s, as I have, do yourselves a favor and rent a small car or Smartcar. Rent it for the whole time. Get a real good store bought map. They sell them in all the tourist shops. You'll find your own private beaches. Forget the bus thing, time is precious in life.

Lastly, on the Coverup Beach clothes issue, no one will care how you look around a pool or on the beach, dressy is not too visible during the day. Sounds like a great trip.

15. Re: Busses, Beaches, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 06:17