We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery Tours/Tastings

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Winery Tours/Tastings

My husband and I travelled to Napa, California earlier this year... in terms of time and the priority of things to do, is it better to skip the vineyards and wine tasting in Santorini ?

Any ideas or experiences to share?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

How much time will you have on the island and what other things will you be doing?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

Hey Sarsar2000:-) Depends on how long you'll be there..and your interests! You can always just visit one winery..for a taste;-) Enjoy!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

I'd be interested in hearing what winerys are good too; I'll be there in September for two days and I think my wife would enjoy a wine tour.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

http://www.santoriniwinetour.com

http://www.santonet.gr/wineries

You can also get more up-to-the-minute information once you're on the island from your hotel or from a travel agency. Every village has at least one.

Hersonissos, Greece
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

Santorini's wine is really different, if you choose to visit a winery i recommend you Sigalas winery in Oia, Personally i beleive the make the best wines in the island. Wherever you decide to go, taste the Visanto wine. That's a dessert red wine that comes from white grapes.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

Thanks for the links and the advice.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

Oh the Vinsanto is wonderful. I have a bottle at home... and it has kept well. Although I never visited the vinyard or tasting room itself.

I will be on Santorini for 5 days... planning on visiting beaches and taking in sunsets. But haven't thought much beyond that sentence. We're staying in Fira w/a caldera view. Any thoughts on the vinyard option?

As for transportation, in my youth I wouldn't have hestitated about renting a scooter... I am now 30... any thoughts about safety etc?

Thank you for all the wonderful advice.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

Don't mean to but in, but I'm interested in a wine tour as well. Tripadvisor has Santos winery listed high but I noticed this santorini wine tour as well. Any reccs. from those who know?

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

for to read about santorini wines visit

www.hatzidakiswines.gr/index.php?id=294

I have mu personal vineyard in island, we cut the grapes 20aug-5sept.

the santorini wines is famous for his quality, tasty.

the most famous is the ''visanto'' isnot only from white grapes is white and black but we put the grapes down of the sun for 2weeks and after make wine, visanto need 5years old.

I cooperation with many winerys ,the bigest is santowinery(santorini farmer association union).

for me the best quality wines has the xatzidakis smaull winery. he personal choose the grapes and is only winery take from eco-vineyards.

sigalas has too good visanto

santowinery has too good ''nykteri''

winerys in santorini is

sigalas in oia-koutsogianopoulos in mesaria-gaia wines kamari-roussos&argyros in exo gonia -san..torini wines exo gonia-kasteli wines in monolithos-santowinery in pirgos-xatzidakis pirgos-antonioy in megaloxori-gavalas in megaloxori-arvanitis in megaloxori-boutari in megaloxori-

for info visit

www.gavalaswines.gr

www.gaia-wines.gr

www.santowines.gr

www.canavaroussos.gr

www.argyrosestate.ge

www.sigalas-wine.gr

www.antoniou-santorini.com

www.volcanwines.gr

www.boutari.gr

www.xatzidakiswines.gr

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winery Tours/Tastings

I was in Oia last week. I HIGHLY recommend the wine tour with Viaos from Santorini Wine Tours. I just wrote up a review on TA today - please check it out. We come from wine country (at least Oregon's version of it) and thought Vaios was very knowledgable. You get to visit 2 or 3 (depending on the package) wineries and he does all the driving! :)

He educates you on the different grape varieties, he takes you into the field and shows you the vines and how they grow them in this arid climate without much rainfall. He educates you on the making of vinsanto.

I also recommend the cooking lesson/dinner option if you are interested... it meant only seeing 2 vs. 3 wineries, but was worth it.

The combination wine tasting tour and cooking lesson was one of the highlights of our 6 days in Santorini.

I don't think Viaos will disappoint you - he didn't disappoint us.

Enjoy!