We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

edinburgh
3 posts
Save Topic
Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

After recently getting engaged we are looking at Santorini as a destination for our wedding which we plan to have in 2012.

Just want a bit of advice from anyone who has been married in Santorini or been to a wedding there.

We have been to travel agents in Edinburgh and they seem to put the prices up quite a bit and dont know much about Santorini, and after looking at many forums on tripadvisor we have seen that a lot of people reccomend getting a wedding planner.

Had seen quite a lot of good reviews for Liza Tilley at Wedding Designs but just came across a forum with about 4 people complaining about her, claiming that they were promised a lot before their wedding but were left disappointed when they got there as she didnt stick to her word.

Can anyone reccomend a good, reliable wedding planner?

We will be travelling with around 30 guests and would like to know which area of the island would suit a group ranging from 5 to 86 years old? Looking for somewhere with good restaurants and nightlife. We were thinking about Kamari.

Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced (e.g. up to £1000 pp for 14 nights) hotels for our guests, have seen some of the all inclusive resorts that look quite nice?

Any info on how to start planning our Santorini wedding would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Norwich
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

Hi Andrew,

I am currently in the process of getting my wedding organised for June next year in Santorini having fallen in love with the place and getting engaged there last year! Ceremony and Reception venue are all booked up, just the painful bits of accommodation, guests, transport etc to go!

We are using the Bridal Consultant (website address below) as were advised these were one of the few (if not the only) UK company who do weddings in Santorini. Based in Sheffield I beleive! Lisa there has been absolutely brilliant, quick to answer any questions and when we were on our holiday there in May this year, arranged for her contact there Michael to show us round some venues. Michael was excellent, took time to show us round so many ceremony & reception venues all over the island. Nothing was too much trouble and he was also very useful in asking owners of restaurants, venues etc questions we hadn't thought of. He will be our coordinator over there next year to make sure everything goes smoothly!

Would recommend if you can going over there to look at some venues, so much variety we were pleasantly surprised. The pictures on websites really don't so some justice and make others look better than they are! The other good thing is they only require a minimal deposit upfront, the full balance isn't required until 4 weeks before the big day.

www.thebridalconsultant.co.uk

As far as accommodation goes, we are looking at Perissa (as is my favourite place), very reasonable on prices (much like Kamari), very relaxed, has the beach and plenty of bars/restaurants. As much as I' d love the view from Fira/Oia it is too expensive for circa 20 guests for the time we are there, but buses are so easy we can soon go there for a meal etc. Plus with elderly guests much of Fira/Oia has steep steps to manage with hotels, restauratns built into the cliff face!

Hope that is of some help but so far they have been excellent

Jonny

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

Agreed, Kamari or Perissa (personally I prefer Kamari) but check out both, much easier with small kids (not all hotels on the cliffside will accept children),more likely to have a decent sized pool, elderly , K / P are flat with few steps unlike the caldera resorts, and much cheaper, which no doubt your guests will prefer (or you will if paying for everyone!)

Having said that, Santorini is not a large island, should some guests wish to stay at the cliffside accom with awesome views, they wont be more than an hour from you at most in Oia, and 30 in Fira.

Finally, I wasnt aware there were AI resorts in Santorini? I presume they are new. (EDIT - did a search, found one I suggest you read the reviews in here first)

Personally I think you get the best of the Greek experience by far, by going out and about and checking out different places for meals rather than being stuck in the same place, though I can see the attraction of being on a fixed price.

USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

We were married last week and used Shirley Chiarolanzio, shirley@otenet.gr, as our wedding planner. She was great and went above and beyond. She's been doing this a long time.

ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

Have a look at www.yoursantoriniwedding.com it has all the information you need to get you started .

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

Hello and congratulations for your upcoming wedding!

Santorini is a dream!

I don't agree to stay at Kamari as it is very touristy and with no caldera view!

I suggest to contact direct a wedding planner.

My wedding planner was Amalia avalvi@poema.com.gr and their website is www.poemaweddings.com

She was great with everything! She did more than I asked and her prices where very reasonable!

About the accomodation of all my guests Amalia did everything for me.. she suggest a lot of hotels with levels of prices so my guests had a lot of choises... She support me in every detail and I am glad for having her as my wedding planner!

I wish you the best!

and don't forget to search a lot before book..

Thanks

C

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

I would base your search around Perissa or Kamari as most of the above have stated, especially with someone of 86years old. Staying somewhere like Oia or Fira just wouldnt be any good to them at all

Kamari is touristy but tbh most of Santorini is, its a tourist destination and it relies heavily on that.

I love Kamari and I like Perissa.

Good look with planning your wedding you'll have a great time! and Congratulations

Santorini
Level Contributor
332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

Considering the age range of your guests i would agree with previous posts about Kamari / Perissa.

Kamari is a bit more built up than Perissa but both are very nice.

Most wedding planners will help you with hotel arrangments if you give them price range. Most hotels here are on B/B basis but there are loads of great restaurants in Kamari and Perissa that wont break the bank!!!!

Congratulations!

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

I still believe that there hotels with caldera view and not so many steps.

Before book you can ask them I suppose.

The point of Santorini is the caldera. Kamari is very nice area but same with other islands.

For older guests you can suggest hotels with no steps.

You have to live the experience of volcano and sea view.

Make sure that you will think of it..

regards,

C

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

I am now speaking as a wedding photographer. After having looked at many wedding planners website I can see the photographer they provide is not of a high standard. I would make sure you can hire independently for stuff like that.

After your wedding abroad the only tangiable items you will have is your photos and vidoes. Cliche but true :)

10. Re: Wedding in Santorini 2012, Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 03:05
Edited: 14 October 2010, 03:05