We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fira Post Office

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Fira Post Office

Has anyone had experience of sending mail/parcels to Fira Post Office marked "Post Restante" ?

I want to send a birthday present to a friend (a surprise) and from what I can gather there are limited or really no "proper" addresses on the island. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fira Post Office

Funnily enough, I had this very conversation a week ago with the (lovely) owner of the appartments we stay at in Imerovigli. I had noticed that none of the houses on the island have letter boxes, and wondered how they got their post. She told me that all post goes to the post office three times a week, and residents collect from there. So if your friend has some sort of address, just send post as normal, but it will probably end up in the post office, waiting for collection.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fira Post Office

I think the addresses work on some sort of post code. For example, I've just had to send a damaged item back to the gallery I bought it from in June and the address was -

Arktos Gallery

Fira

84700 - the important bit

Santorini

Greece

From what I could gather, it's the number that determines the ultimate destination - there don't appear to be street names/numbers that we're used to in the UK.

Martin

Edited: 20 July 2010, 09:50
Santorini
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fira Post Office

84700 is the postal code and that will get what you send to Santorini central Post Office. A lot of the residents have numbered mail boxes and go by every few days to check if they have incoming mail. If you do not have a mail box you need to check with the post office for your mail. Mail boxes are also offered to other villages - not just Fira. Still at summer time they are all reserved.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fira Post Office

Hi nessie

We have never had bother sending parcels. We often send bits and bobs over to our friends for the kids. T-shirts ect cause they are cheaper in the UK than over there. Also send football tops :)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fira Post Office

Thanks everyone ... feeling more confident about it now as was worried it might go astray.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,653 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fira Post Office

Arktos Gallery

(To this I would add "Poste Restante" just to be sure)

Fira

84700 - the important bit

Santorini

Greece

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fira Post Office

I didn't know about the Poste Restante thing (what does it mean anyway?), and the girl at the PO didn't mention it either so goodness knows if it'll get there. I hope it does because it cost over 600 euros and he's promised a replacement on receipt of the damaged sculpture.

Martin

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,028 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fira Post Office

I'd heard of it, but didn't think it existed anymore due to security worries. I remember being told to give an 'poste restante' address to my family when I was planning a Russia/Scandi trip over 20 years ago - and you had to give AGES of time to allow it to get there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poste_restante

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,653 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fira Post Office

It basically means that a letter or package should be held at the post office until claimed by the addressee. If you weren't instructed to include it in the address then it's probably not a problem, especially since you sent it to an established business that no doubt uses the mail system often .

10. Re: Fira Post Office

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2011, 07:17