We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

I'm travelling from L.A . to Greece and want to visit Santorini. I was there eleven years ago in Oia for only two nights and I want my husband to see it.

We have 7 full days to enjoy the vacation, plus 3 days lost travelling to and from home.

My question is should we just park ourselves in Santorini the entire time or try to do two places? I'm not interested in Athens or Crete, I'm just wondering if there is another beautiful island to combine with the Santorini trip.

We are in our 40's and not huge party animals. We like to hike, explore, relax and enjoy great food and scenery.

We are planning to go in mid September of this year.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

If you feel the need to see two islands combine Santorini with Paros or Antiparos and you'll have a good experience because of the diversity, but a week on one island will fly by.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

I was hoping you would respond, I've been reading your posts and you give excellent advice.

I'll research your two suggestions and decide. You may be right that we'll easily fill 7 days on Santorini! I've been looking forward to returning for years!

Thanks again.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

Agree with BLL that you could easily spend the week on Santorini.

Considering your interests you may also enjoy spending some time on Folegandros.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,601 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

Beware that a transfer between the islands will take away the best part of one day away from you. Checking in and out, transport to and from harbour, waiting, plus the journey itself.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

Hello Karen

you dont say what time of the year you are going !!! ferry schedules can change very quickly come september.. ...I would certainly recommend Folegandros,It certianly fits the bill for hiking and exploring and has a most wonderful Chora..It is extremely close to Santorini and therfore the travel time to discover the island would be as minimal as any other island if you do choose to explore another island...I could not envisage visiting the CYCLADES without at least one night on Folegandros as much as I do beleive you can easily enjoy wonderful Santorini on its own..Check out the Folegandros forums and take time to read the indepth report by fellow member XAROULA who lives on the island and has gone out of her way to provide a very indepth overview of Folegandros and would give you a good insight as to whether Folegandros would be for you...Folegandros should be for everybody...But keep it quiet as we need to just keep the secret to ourselves !!!!

melbourne
Level Contributor
313 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

hi karen -

we stayed 5 nights on Santorini and 5 nights in Naxos in June. Naxos is a lovely island - relaxing, laid back with gorgeous traditional villages to explore (Halki and Apeiranthos for example). I am not so sure about the bus services in Naxos as we did not use them - we hired a car to explore the island and this worked really well. As it was VERY hot when we were there our exploring was limited but the island is a stark contrast to Santorini. There are a number of great restaurants in Chora and plenty of traditional tavernas in the villages. We did a day trip along the coastline that was alot of fun with plenty of swim stops and photo opp's.

Hope this helps you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

Hey and welcome Karen1560:-) Sounds like you'be got 6 nights total..IMO, stay put and take in one isle..if you are so inclined;-) Santorini will certainly fit the bill..actually basing on any isle for a week makes for a wonderful experience..Coming the distance, if you feel you need a change, agree Paros would fit the bill for a couple of nigts enroute back to Athens (where I am assuming you're flying out from and giving it a night?;-) Either way, 6 nights will most certainly fly by........enjoy!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,601 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

The public bus service in Naxos is reliable and possible to use for day excursions to the main inland villages.

However, I will remind you that changing islands will take the best part of one day away from you - even when short distances of travel is the choice (Folegandros, Naxos etc.).

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

Seven days on Santorini will give you a good feel of the place, the longer the better. I've made six trips to Santorini and I'm still seeing new places.

A nice place to eat is Metaxi Mas just below Pyrgos village. You need to call ahead, ask for a outside table with a view. From there you can watch the lights come on in Kamari, down the mtn, and also see the moon rise. I've only been there twice but I really like it, great for a romantic dinner. I'm sure someone can suggest a nice place in Fira to have a sunset dinner. Then there's the water front restaurants in Kamari, Almira is very nice.

My point is there's sooo much to see and do, just look into it more or ask , a week will go by fast. If in the area I'll be at Arion bay hotel in Santorini Sept., just stop by and ask for Karl, I could point out a few "Off the beatten path" things to do though I think your'll have no problem knowing what you will do by the time you get there.

Edited: 23 August 2010, 04:22
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ten day vacation Santorini and ??

That restaurant looks great!! I only found one review--excellent---I will be sure to post a review after our visit. The website shows a menu of great traditional food.