We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping the crew on a half day sail

california
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
tipping the crew on a half day sail

Hi all - I'm wondering about tipping on a Capt. Ted's 1/2 day private sail. Is it expected, and if so, about how much?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

Tipping for services is a grey area in Greece. It's not expected but is appreciated. Go with your gut but there's no standard amount percentage-wise to calculate. If I were inspired to leave a tip for a whole crew I'd probably leave around €20. But before you do ask the captain if it's appropriate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

Are they taking you for free, or are you paying for their services? If you're paying, there is no need to tip. And if they're taking you for free (as a gift), tipping might insult them.

california
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

Oh no...we are paying a hefty sum to go out for the afternoon. That's why I was wondering if a tip is also expected. I think a tip would be appropriate here in the United States, but haven't a clue about what would be correct there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

Hey and welcome gopat:-) Although I doubt they expect one..I agree w/Lee here to go with your gut..see how it goes..how accommodating the crew is..etc., Personal call..I say why not if you feel it merits a gesture of appreciation..and you of course.. totally enjoyed!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

Tipping isn't expected in Greece - service is included in the price you pay for meals, drinks, accommodation and (by the sounds of it) private boat tours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

A good reason for not tipping is because money made in tips is never taxed, i.e. it's a payment under the table. Because service is included in prices, there are no special arrangements made to accommodate tipping. For example I know that in (parts of?) Canada the basic salary for waiters is lower compared to the salary of other non-service jobs, because it is expected that waiters will make the difference in tips. Not so in Greece. Anything you pay as a tip is over and above the person's salary and the taxman never sees it. There is a lot of work being done at the moment in Greece to ensure that the taxman sees all there is to see - so if you must tip, please do so moderately (3-5%) and only if the service you receive has exceeded expectations.

california
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

Thank you. I must say I prefer the Greek way of including the service charge in the bill to the Canadian/American way of underpaying waiters and expecting their tips to make up the difference. I get so tired of being expected to tip everyone here. There is almost always a tip jar on the counter at take out food places and even Starbucks. Why do they expect a tip just for doing their job?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

Hey again..and agree..those tip jars are everywhere here;-) Good thing to know it's your call on your private sail..sounds wonderful! Keep enjoyin'!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

I just took that trip (Santorini Sailing / Captain Ted) last week. We were on the sunset sailing + dinner trip, but ours was semi-private (4 couples, none of which knew each other) for 150 euros per person. Sounds like the same one you are on.

I can't tell you how much we enjoyed it (if it's the same one). Great crew, great food, great sailing, great sunset.

We chose to tip. I think the tips ranged from 10 to 25 euros. I tipped much larger as my brand new Ray Bans were dislodged as I was being silly and nearly were a victim to the sea, but Matt (one of the crew members) was able to catch them just before they were lost overboard.

california
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping the crew on a half day sail

Thanks for this information, wildcatpike. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Ours will be a private daytime sail with 6 sisters/sister-in-laws. We leave in two days and are stoked! I will look for your trip review.