We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Santorini

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Santorini

Dear all,

I will be landing on Santorini on Oct 29th evening and unfortunately I am only left with a day to explore this beautiful Island... my return flight is next day evening at 7 PM.

In this one day I am planning to do this:

1. Spend Oct 29th night at the hotel at Perissa

2. After seeing the sunrise from the Perissa beach and breakfast... walk to Ancient Thira... and spend till 11

3. After 11, take the public bus to Fira... exploring Fira in the noon...

4. Take bus from Fira at 5 PM and return to Thira Airport

5. 7 PM return flight from Thira

Is this achievable? Your thoughts please?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Santorini

Overall your itinerary looks fine, but you'll get more out of your day if you rent a car.

I've not been to Ancient Thira, so can't comment on that part of the trip. I'm assuming you've checked that it's open and accessible within your time frame.

What will you do with your luggage?

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Santorini

There is a bus running between Ancient Thira and Fira? First time I hear this... Live to learn...

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,840 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Santorini

I would say skip Ancient Thira and replace it with Oia in your itinerary - Oia has most of the famous views Santorini is known for.

Oia

http://tinyurl.com/cq6dtp

Fira

http://tinyurl.com/depuvh

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Santorini

Ancient Thera opened at 8.00 a.m. in the summer (I'd check if its that early at this time of year). Although I found it fascinating, I'm not sure I'd pick that if it was my only day on the island. Keep in mind that it takes at least 30-45 minutes to walk from Perissa - each way. So, if you want to see it - make sure you're there when they open. The path is steep and you need good shoes.

Erik - I believe the bus to Ancient Thera runs from Kamari to half-way up the switchbacks to the site, not all the way. Perissa - its on foot all the way.

The bus timetable isn't currently showing the actual times so I can't confirm, but the route from Fira to the airport isn't all that regular. Sometimes its only one every 1 to 1.5 hours. Also, for an international flight, you need to be at the airport two hours ahead of your flight, so you need to leave Fira closer to 4.00 p.m. (for a bus) and 4.30 p.m. (for a taxi). Taxi cost is approx. €12.

Depending on what time you arrive on the island, you could drop your luggage at the hotel, get a bus to Fira, change and another to Oia, so you could see it on the night of your arrival. Again, buses at this time of the year aren't so frequent.

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Santorini

your plan is dificult!!

first the weather today and tomorow isnot verywell, I dont know for 29-30 but ..

29 you spend in perissa- onewalk to the beachroad if not rain and food at aquarius, the most restaurant in perissa now is closed.

30-sunrise and breakfast ok, but to go to Ancient and return you spend all day, because hasnot bus Ancient thera-fira you must to return perissa or kamari and from there to take bus to fira.

-hasnot bus now fira-airport

The best is when you arive in perissa rentacar from romani-ancor-or accordo(all is from perissa) for oneday and give the car on airport. the cost is about 25euros and the day of 30oct go to fira-oia-airport.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Santorini

Sounds OK to me, achievable, yes, would have been slightly easier to have stayed in Kamari beach overnight however does not matter....

1) OK.

2) Walk up to Ancient Thira from Perissa, it takes about an hour, doubt if you'll spend more than 1½hr there looking at the site, most is roped off now.

3) Walk down the road to Kamari Beach. Take the KTEL bus from there to Fira town, look at the times for the Airport bus. Explore Fira town. I would not waste your precious time with going to/from Oia.

4) Take the bus, if convenient, for the Airport or a taxi, rank is just around the corner from the bus station.

Kamari tours, in season, run a bus from Kamari Beach football pitch to the roundabout by the Ancient Thira entrance but it's 10€ return and as it's only maybe 20 mins walk downhill not much point.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Santorini

I agree with Greek Traveler--I would skip Ancient Thira (and Fira too for that matter) and go to Oia. Oia is a "must see" if going to Santorini.

I would also suggest renting a car for the day. I did that with great success. It gives you so much more flexibility--no waiting for busses, etc. Many car rentals will drop off and pick up the car at your hotel. It can all be done online.

Good luck.

8. Re: One day in Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 06:53