We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach on the Island?

Magor, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach on the Island?

Hi,

I visited Thira just for a day last year and would like to go back for a little longer. I was wondering what everyone thought was the best beach on the island?

Thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach on the Island?

There is the Red Beach, and then there are black (grit & Pebble) beaches ... Perissa, Perivogli, etc. If you walk down a steep path from Oia, you can swim off some rocks. There are no sandy beaches on the island. Beaches are not what Santorini is about. If you want sandy beaches, nearby islands on the same ferry route that have many of them include Ios, Paros, Naxos, and the smaller cyclades like Amorgos, Folegandros. Less frequently-linked are the West Cyclades: Milos, Serifos, Sifnos etc, all with many sandy beaches.

Here is a good website with overviews & photos of All the Islands: http://www.greek-islands.us/

.. none of them of course, have the Caldera view, which is what Santorini is so famous for.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach on the Island?

My wife and I ended up going to Kamari beach which is covered in black pebbles. First off: bring enough money for a beach chair or be prepared to sit on a towel on a bunch of rocks (I saw some people doing this but they had beer). Secondly: make sure you have decent sandals or flip flops since you'll wear them to the edge of the water. This is good since if you can't spot your beach umbrella ( they all look alike) from the water you can at least spot your footwear.

Lastly: I'd go to a different beach, even though the view up the side of Santorini is excellent.

Good luck.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach on the Island?

Even better than flip-flops or sandals are the slip-on "water shoes" ... rubber soles, mesh tops), which you can wear IN the water, not just to the edge. Why? Because those pebbles/rocks continue as you wade out until it's deep enough to swim -- and its OUCH OUCH OUCH. In US you can sometimes get these for 6-7$ in Walgreens etc ... or else you can buy those Croc things which i hate.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach on the Island?

Yup, I saw some people wearing water shoes. Everybody had something on, at least to the water's edge. It was hot that day and even without the heat the rocks were pretty rough. Again, nice views, but the beach is brutal.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach on the Island?

Is that what we call "jellies" here in the UK TJ?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach on the Island?

Yes.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach on the Island?

No.

Jellies are completely different than 'water shoes', also know as 'reef walkers'. These are reef walkers and some version of them are sold on Perissa and Kamari Beaches. So are jellies.

http://tinyurl.com/24ocbwe

These are jellies: http://tinyurl.com/38qglbo

Edited: 27 November 2010, 18:29
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach on the Island?

Santorini has some very good beaches. Try Vlychada or Koloumbos. Also, the beach near Baxedes (extending Koloumbos) was thoroughly cleaned this summer. The cliff above Kolumbos provides as much shade as you want. However, the sea was very rough and there was a lot of sea grass on the beach this summer.

Edited: 27 November 2010, 18:50
perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach on the Island?

perissa/perivolos is 7km black sand beach. in perivolos near to agios georgios you dont need water shoes and hasnot rocks, also vlyxada is nice beach.

10. Re: Best beach on the Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2011, 05:17