We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini Car Hire

Tucson
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini Car Hire

Hello, I have been in contact with Santorini Car Hire to rent a car for our day in port. I did read on this site that one person received their car with a close to empty gas tank, but have not really read any other reviews. I have contacted the company and they said they would provide a full tank of gas. I just want to see if anyone else has had experiences with them before I commit. Thanks so much!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Although I haven't picked up my car yet, I have been in contact with Santorini Car Hire for our upcoming July trip. They have been very helpful so far and went out of their way to get information about reserving cars in other areas of Greece when I inquired. I thought the price they quoted me was very reasonable compared to Auto Europe. They offer some extra features that the other companies charge a lot for: auto transmission, second driver free. They are about $144 cheaper than Auto Europe for a three day rental.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini Car Hire

I don't understand the problem. If your car has an empty gas tank just be sure it's noted on your rental agreement and ask for directions to the nearest gas station.

Tucson
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Brotherleelov, It does sound simple to just fill up an empty tank, note it on the rental agreement, and be on your way. But what I read here or elsewhere was the renter picked up the car with the empty tank so early in the morning that the gas station was not open yet.

The bottom line is good customer service (which includes a full tank of gas) and a safe, functioning car.

Thanks again for your response.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini Car Hire

All well and good, but I suggest that anybody renting a car in Greece keep an open mind and be prepared to go with the flow. Greek businesses don't necessarily follow the same logical practices we expect here in the States. Assuming that concepts of customer sercvice from one country should automatically apply in another is just not realistic. You know what they say about 'assume'...............

Tucson
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini Car Hire

You are right about assuming...But I also want to be well-informed and know what to expect. I have had positive contacts with Santorini Car Hire and intend to rent our car from them.

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Dear Danaj

the service depence and for the prices. if you give 20-30 euros for rentacar what servise you wait. full gas cost 70euros, 1.8euros per lit

Thanks

Firostefani, Greece
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini Car Hire

BrotherLee.. its also not fair to say to not expect the same service in Greece as in the States.. I can tell you countless times where I rented from Enterprise in CA with a nearly empty tank.. the reason? The last person didnt fill it up and we didnt have time to go (with a gas station across the street..)

I would be more apt to take that reason from a rental office here in Santorini as 1) the gas stations are not as abundant as they are in Los Angeles and 2) they way I have seen them in Santo run to deliver one car, pick up another, clean it, drop it off.. etc, etc.

At Enterprise in CA I went to them to rent, no one else waiting for a car, 2 people working in the office, 1 in the lot.. really.. who doesnt have the time to take it for a fill up when its returned empty?

And service? How many rental places in the states will bring the car to your hotel? or the airport? or the port? or wherever it is conveniant for you?

Sorry for the rant, but lets be fair here :-)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,020 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini Car Hire

good luck trying to press american standards of what is "good customer service" onto a greek car rental outfit :)

we also received an almost empty tank and returned the favor on return ... never wasted a minute's thought about it.

Firostefani, Greece
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Spammie,

As far as returning the car with an empty tank when it was received this way, that is expected!

Even in America, you are expected to return it with as much as it started with, just not less.

No one in America or Greece is going to expect a free tank of gas courtesy of the renter.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,020 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini Car Hire

yes , islandgirl .. that was my point . if it didn't come across that way, my apologies .

'what i meant to say ... i agree with both BLL and with Islandgirl - i also don't see the problem with receiving a low tank and i find the santorini concept of car rental service perfectly wonderful . i have rented cars literally all over the planet ... but never was i able to just drop the vehicle off with keys in it and wander off to catch my plane .... or was met at the airport and then shown the way back to oia , for that matter.