We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most memorable moments in Santorini

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Most memorable moments in Santorini

Just curious if anyone had a place or activity that they loved more than the rest. Something like a sunset from a specific spot or a hike to a specific place. Possibly a sail boat trip, wine tour or ancient site.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

Hi,

Apart from the main highlight being actually visiting the island of Santorini in the first place and seeing the views for the first time which took our breath away, my main highllights are our sunset wedding there in July 2009 and sailing with Captain George which out of all the times we have visited the island, this was one of our main highlights. Please see the link to the TA reviews below:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

The third highlight is we are actually in the process of buying a house there, so it can't get much better than this.

Best wishes, Debbie

Edited: 21 January 2011, 20:05
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

If it's your first time, everything.

My most enjoyable memory is watching the sunset from Oia in July and August then turning 180 degrees to watch the full moonrise over the caldera just minutes later.

wallpaperweb.org/wallpaper/buildings/1280x96…

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

Oh and another highlight was watching the fireworks on the volcano from our private balcony in Imerovili. This takes place every August and is spectacular.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,341 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

Caldera-gazing, eating a gyro at Lucky's in Fira and (my favorite) - visiting Thirasia (the little island over the caldera). Only about 300 people but still with the same fantastic views. Boats go three times a day from the base of Oia and cost €1 each way.

http://www.thirasia.gr/english/0a.htm

Also, seeing a movie at the open-air cinema near Kamari once you've watched the sun set.

http://www.cinekamari.gr/enframe.htm

Edited: 21 January 2011, 21:28
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

We were there in October and we could not tear ourselves away from Oia - we absolutely loved every moment there. But I think a highlight for us would be walking through the main walkways at night, it was quiet, the sidewalks were lit along the way, and we almost felt like it was just us and this little beautiful village and it that is was there for us only. We did that every night we were there and felt that life could not get much better then those beautiful moments we shared. It brings tears to my eyes thinking of it now, just like it did then.

Having not left Oia at all, well it gives us an excuse to come back and see the rest of Santorini - as if we needed an excuse. I haven't even written my trip report on Santorini yet, because I am having trouble trying to describe our time there - it was everything we had dreamed and more.

Edited: 21 January 2011, 21:41
Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

Our favourite was sitting on our caldera view balcony mornings and again at night. In the early morning, enjoying breakfast, we watched the mist lift over the caldera - simply beautiful. At night, enjoying a glass of wine, we watched the lights from Fira twinkling over the cliff-tops - magical.

Karen

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

My favorite moments were waking up really early ( can't help it, i wake up at 6 - 7am each day, no alarm needed ) and walking in Oia while all the village was still asleep. Scenery and light are stunning.

Seeing this place waking up was great; going to the bakery to get fresh bread and corissants right the time they were ready, then have a lazy breakfast at the hotel slurping them :)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

I love the sights and sounds of Oia in the morning. Getting to the bakery when everything is still aromatic, fresh and warm just adds to the pleasure.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

There really are so many but I guess my overall favourites are:

Lunching at Ammoudi Bay - all of the restaurants I have tried there have been good. I suppose it depends when you visit but I always feel as though I have managed to get away from the masses when I'm in Ammoudi - I usually travel to Santorini in June.

Walking along the cliffside pathway between Firostefani and Fira early mornings - there really isn't anyone about except a few locals beginning their day. fabulous views, peace (not common in Santorini) and very serene.

Wandering through Pyrgos village in the morning - again before the crowds arrive.

And last but not least chilling out on the hotel balcony in Firostefani and soaking up the amazing views - something I never tire of.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most memorable moments in Santorini

early morning light in oia ... this absolutely magical athmosphere that daytrippers will sadly never experience.