We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini or Dunrovnik

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini or Dunrovnik

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has been to both of these places and which I should choose if i can only choose one?

The rest of my itinerary looks like the below:

LONDON

PARIS

NICE

VERNAZZA

POSITANO

ROME

AMSTERDAM

LONDON

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

I've been to Dubrovnik twice and to Santorini about ten times. The places are almost impossible to compare.

I liked Dubrovnik: I spent a week in winter 1999/200 (the millennium celebration) and a few days in summer 1989 there. In summer there's a very interesting festival (going on for more than a month). The fortified town is very impressive and you can enjoy several beaches in the area (one of them on the small island nearby). However, I never felt the "urge" to see it again. Also, the Greeks are much better and kinder hosts than the Croatians.

I must admit that I can not be objective about Santorini. Even after so many years still get tears in my eyes whenever the plane lands, its doors open, Mesa Vouno appears in front of me and the wonderful smell of the island (a mixture of figs, herbs and meltemi) enters the cabin. I've visited several other Cycladic island which beauty can compare to Santorini (Folegandros for example) but there's something unexplainable about Santorini that makes me return to this magnificent island each summer.

Edited: 24 January 2011, 11:58
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

Hey and welcome AngelicaCee:-) It's like comparing apples to oranges;-) You really need to read up on both and see which one you feel would best fit the bill for you! I loved both..but then again, totally different experiences! I'd be hard-pressed to recc one over the other without knowing what your interests/prefs are/what you're looking for;-) Happy planning..and EnjoY!

West Sussex
Level Contributor
11 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

We had a truly amazing honeymoon in Santorini at Dreams (v expensive but wonderful holiday of a lifetime-Orpheus suite gorgeous). People lovely, we hired a quad bike n travelled entire island; drivers were kind, helpful and v courteous, gave us priority everywhere. A fabulous fabulous place;-romantic, Stunning scenery, great restaurants.

We also went to Dubrovnik, beautiful especially if you go Up hill to view, we rented nice rooms with fabulous views. The people; rude, ignorant and arrogant (even a local complained of this!). Although we hired car and travelled Westwards and the people did improve..

My recommendation? SANTORINI!!! As a previous messenger said; the smell will forever last with me. We got married in Crete n arrived by ferry, that was also truly memorable as we approached, the views of the Caldera were magnificent and I enjoyed the rather chaotic port, a great start to the most wonderful holiday ever (and we are avid travellers!!!!). Go. You will not regret it although if you do go try to stay on the south side of the island which is where the caldera is. I probably wouldnt bother paying the prices for the other side as it's ok but the south is truly truly glorious. The most amazing sunsets anywhere in the world. I'm envious!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

Thanks for much for your thought. I’d have a total of 11 days to spend there. I’d probably spend 3 in Athens if I decided to go to Santorini. Would you recommend seeing any other islands in my 8 remaining days? Or seeing any islands off Dubrovnik if I were to go there?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

Hi Angelica,

I too find it difficult to be objective about Santorini as its probably my favourite place on the planet - as are many of the places I have visited in Greece.

Like the others have said you cannot compare Dubrovnik and Santorini. For me it would come down to the time of year you are visiting.

I went to both places last year, Santorini first in early/mid June and then to Dubrovnik and stayed on the Orebic peninsula for a week late June/early July.

Santorini is and will be busy in June (though not as much as July/August), however even in early July you can easily find places in southern Croatia that aren't crowded. Dubrovnik is another story - it is quite small and literally heaving with people during the day - day trippers and also those visiting from cruise ships. There are many wonderful, interesting islands off the Croatian coast - Korcula is the largest one close to Dubrovnik and it is lovely. I only spent a day there but I could have easily stayed 4 or 5. Mljet island is also near Dubrovnik.

Basically each country has much to offer - I guess it depends what your interests are.

If you choose Greece you could combine two islands plus your time in Athens in 11 days. So if Santorini is your choice then have a look at some of the islands which are on the same ferry routing and perhaps go with one of them as your second island.

Happy planning...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

Thanks for that. I would be there mid to end of July. Most people are saying both are great but that Santorini is unforgettable. I mainly want to relax and enjoy the water and sun. See some sights and eat some great food.

Not to into partying and drinking until the early hours of the morning.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

Hey again:-) Well, if it's beaches you want..take note that Santorini is a volcanic isle and it's beaches reflect same..more volcanic ash/grit..so if you don't mind that (as it appears it doesn't bother the loads that are there during Season;-), then it would certainly be a good call..the waters are still the same amazing Aegean;-) If you're looking for green/blue waters..sandier beaches, then Dubrovnik would certainly fit the bill..some wonderful beaches just outside of Town..many just outside the Old Town gates within a 5 min walk;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

Santorini is truly awe inspiring. The town of Oia is the center of the quintessential 'Santorini Experience'. We stayed at Aris Caves for four nights, too short. I cannot rate it highly enough (they cut me off at 5 points) Incredible panoramas. Absolutely a gorgeous and unforgettable time. Oia is one of only two places in the world that I plan on returning to. The other is Koh Phi Phi, Thailand. Unfortunately the Tsunami washed away the place we stayed on Phi Phi. It will probably never be the same. :-( I guess I'll just be returning to Oia. :-)

P.S. You'll love Vernazza!

Edited: 25 January 2011, 02:25
9. Re: Santorini or Dunrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 06:16