We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

I know that there are many topics on this, so I apologize to ask again! My friend and I (early 30's) are looking for an affordable place to stay in Santorini during the first week in June. Our budget is around $130-175USD/night and we'd like to find the most luxurious hotel possible for that price. We would also ideally like a pool, but that's not necessary. I've looked at some of the villas, and the more affordable ones don't spark my interest (or seem to be dirty, etc). I've mainly looked in Oia, but I suppose we are open to other areas. We don't want anywhere TOO quiet, as we'd like to have dinners, go to a bar, etc. Doesn't have to be in the middle of any nightlife, but we don't want to be secluded. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

Let's start with you listing those accomodations you've rejected so we don't recommend the same ones.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

Yes, that would be helpful! Delfini Hotel, Oia Waves, Old Oia Houses, Villa Kallisti, Thea Studios.

Still continuing to dig through other recommendations I've come across on these forums!

Just stumbled across Anemoessa Villa which I like. Concerned it's a little farther away from town though.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

$175=€127

There's not much out there at that price if you want a pool, and especially if you want a view of the caldera, which you imply from your list of rejects. You've pretty much exhausted your options in Oia. With a pool but without a caldera view check Anemomilos Hotel.

In Fira you can check the Caldera Butterfly Villas and Scirocco Apartments. In Firostefani, but without a pool check Hotel Mylos, Villa Maria Damigou and Blue Dolphins Apartments. In Imerovigli check Gizis Apartments.

Also have a look at the hotels listed on this website separated by village. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

http://www.santorini.com/hotels

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

Thank you very much, this is very helpful. Will check those out. I'm actually not too concerned about the view. Would just prefer a pool to relax at! I'm going to see if we can go up to $200USD to see if that would make a difference.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

I don't know if you've read this elsewhere, but there is a very nice public-access pool in Oia, the Lioyerma Cafe/Pool. The admission is free as long as you buy food and/or drinks. It's a great place to sit and watch the sunset. http://www.lioyerma.gr

Hotels w/o pool but very close (less than 5 minutes' walk) to Lioyerma: Golden Sunset Villas and Marizan Villas.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 22:07
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

Wow, thanks for that tip! I just looked at the pics and it looks beautiful. Don't we wish our public pools in the US looked like that :) That's very helpful to know.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

If you want an idea of what one of the Fira hotels BLL named is like, here are some photos I took at the Scirocco Apartments in Fira last June. It is in Fira, but the level below the main cathedral, which makes it quieter but still retains easy access to transport, restaurants and shopping.

Outside:

https:/…

Inside Room 8:

https:/…

http://www.scirocco.gr/index-en.html

None of my business, but if you 'don't care about the view', save your money and go for somewhere away from the caldera, since the view does literally cost. I love the view myself and am prepared to (sometimes) pay for it, but on trips when money is a consideration, then I'm prepared to stay down by the beach where it is considerably cheaper.

Good luck.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 22:41
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

Thanks kennydon. Those pics are great, thanks! I guess there are tradeoffs we have to consider and I'll talk about it with my friend. I don't think that good views are our priority...we are not on a romantic honeymoon :)

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

Just to reiterate Kennydon's suggestion, if a caldera view isn't that important to you (as unusual as that is for American visitors), you'll find that your money will go quite a bit further if you chose to stay in either Kamari or Perissa, the main beach resorts in the south easter side of the island. There are some very nice, high quality hotels in both resorts, without having to pay Oia prices, together with excellent restaurants, bars, clubs etc (although one of your fellow Americans would disagree with me on this, she refer to both resorts as 'English ghettoes').

The island is small enough, and the public transport system is good enough to enable you to get to the caldera side of the island in 20/25 minutes (Fira) and Oia in about 40/45 minutes. Personally, I find one day in both of these places quite enough, especially if there are multiple cruise ships docked.

Martin

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: affordable hotel recommendation for 4 nights Oia? Fira?

I think Aris Caves would fit your budget. It is in a gorgeous setting but has no pool. It is not a luxury place but it is clean and has amazing caldera views.